Uv Sterilizers And Gph Flow Rates

Lovecich

I'm looking at UV sterilizers for my 56 g planted tank. The GPH of the
Penn Plax canister filter I have is 256. The GPH of the UV sterilizers that are affordable tends to max out at 211. Does anybody know if this difference is crucial. Would I be wasting time and money because of the imbalance in the GPH, thus rendering the water flowing through the UV sterilizer too fast to give adequate treatment to the water?

coralbandit

The faster water passes through the unit the less it is exposed to the UV light .
The extra gallons are worth much if you are using it to kill anything that is a nuisance.
Slow flow is where it is at.

Lovecich

Thanks coralbandit. That's what I suspected. Guess I'll be looking in the $100+ range rather than the $35-50.

coralbandit

You could T off you return line possibly to run the UV on a separate slower flow ?
Then you could use a smaller unit .As far as I know only wattage of bulbs is only change on model upgrades?

Cichlidude

UV lights in canister filters are a gimmick. As stated above the flow rate is too fast. Better to get a separate unit with an adjustable flow rate set on the slowest setting to work.

Lovecich

You could T off you return line possibly to run the UV on a separate slower flow ?
Then you could use a smaller unit .As far as I know only wattage of bulbs is only change on model upgrades?
Good suggestion but I'm not much of a plumber. I know, it's only fitting a T, but...
I've found a couple of UV sterilizers that run 264 or even more GPH. They cost about twice as much, but I think I'll probably spend the extra since the one I'm looking at takes the $12 bulbs instead of the $30 ones so that makes up part of the cost.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Robes
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Fish99
Replies
Views