Question uv sterilizer

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i purchased a used uv sterilizer to use on my 55gal tank. i have pretty good water but it isnt crystal clear. i really want that spring water look. i also installed an fx5 canister about a week ago. i know this sounds overboard but i just cut down the flow a little and it seems fine. i am wondering if the uv will help and if not, how to make it more clear. i just dont really want to start using chemicals.

p.s. can i filter too much?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whether or not the UV will help is a function of what's wrong with the water. If you have a lot of particulates in the water, then it won't do a thing. If you're water has a green tinge to it, it will remove it. What exactly is the problem?

There's absolutely no need to use chemicals to clear your water.

Gravel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A UV will only help if you have green water. Running carbon in your filter can help to make it crystal clear. But, carbon needs to be replaced fairly often to remain effective.

Running a FX5 on a 55 leaves me wondering what could be causing the water to be anything but clear. Does it have new media in it? How many and what kinds of cichlids do you have? How long are the lights on for? Does the tank get any direct sunlight?

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the water seems ok except for a little bit of brownish-colored stuff starting to form on the decorations.. it also looks just a tiny bit murky. its really not bad but ive seen a lot of other tanks that are perfectly clear. a woman at the pet store told me that i could be feeding too much and that may be causing the brown stuff to form but i cut the feeding back and it is still showing up. my water is half spring water and half unfiltered well water. i use the well water because it is abundant and it keeps the ph at 8 or a little over.

jrichey7519

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the filter has brand new media. it works really well and the fish seem to really like it. there is rarely sunlight on the tank. the lights are on 12 and off 12. i have two giraffes and 8 small mbunas and one other that is solid yellow so 11 fish. all the mbunas are under3 inches

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
its really not bad but ive seen a lot of other tanks that are perfectly clear.
Are the perfectly clear tanks you speak of cichlid tanks? Cause the stock is going to make a big difference in how easy it is to keep the water crystal clear. Overfeeding will also be a large contributing factor. Sounds like you could use a polishing pad. What I would do, is get an HOB filter and run carbon with the polishing pad in it. That way, you won't have to constantly open up the canister to change them - it will be significantly easier to use the HOB for the consumable medias. Then you can leave the mechanical and biological in the canister.

Sounds like the UV is unnecessary for what you bought it for. But, you can still run it - it does kill pathogens.

Gravel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't have live plants, only have the lights on when you are viewing your fish. 12 on even with plants is too much IMO. I would say the brown algae is from the lights. Is it a new tank? It might also be diatoms. But non the less, drastically reducing the lights will help if it is algae. And if it is diatoms, just clean off the decorations and glass as you see it, and it will eventually go away.

I would add some carbon to your filter if you want the water to sparkle. That will help with any murkyness you have.

konyo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
if you have put new filter medium in to your tank it could just be a bacterial bloom but this should just go away with time, but with my tank I use a little pouch called algone, this clears the water as well as removing excess nitrates and ammonia, well worth getting

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I honestly dont think that the UV is going to really add much to the tank, while it will keep your algae down it wont remove any particulate. What you really need to do is to run alot of finishing pads in your filter, however in doing this you are going to increase the necesity for filter cleaning and maint.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom