UV sterilizer question

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
4
Points
63
Experience
4 years
I have this monster of a uv sterilizer (Aqua 57 watt) hooked up to my 180 but, I have it hooked up inline to only one of my 2 Eheim canister filters. Will it work well enough being attached to only one filter? I'm guessing it will still do it's job, just might work slower??
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
4
Points
63
Experience
4 years
Great news and thanks for the link! I've read, reread and am still reading a great deal about watts and GPH rates! lol Maybe all my reading should have answered my question for me but, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! Thanks again!
 

Matt B

Well Known Member
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
45
Points
143
Experience
Just started
No problem. I think thats why the self driven models are popular. They just have a small pump and operate on their own power, moving water at a more suitable, slower flow rate and can be hung on the rim of the tank or in a sump.

Btw, what size tank do you keep your avatar in?
 

macca

Well Known Member
Messages
989
Reaction score
11
Points
83
Experience
1 year
When using a UV Sterilizer in a home aquarium, the UV unit should be placed last in the filtration line. You want to first filter the aquarium water through your mechanical filter and then run the water through the UV device before returning the water to your fish tank

My canister filter has the inflow water running through and pass the uv light before getting filtered and then pumped out. Wondering if this would be an issue?
 

anahiii24

Well Known Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
8
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Very interesting link. We just ordered one (should be getting here today) because I am dealing with cloudy water for over a month and my water parameters are fine. I don't mean to hijack but I will fallow this thread closely. I wasn't aware of the watts per gallon... To be honest my husband just went and bought it because it was cheap and had good reviews.
 

Matt B

Well Known Member
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
45
Points
143
Experience
Just started
Yes, imo that could be an issue. It should be pre filtered to remove detritus, this makes the uv more effective at eliminating organisms instead of irradiating detritus coming through it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
4
Points
63
Experience
4 years
Matt B said:
Btw, what size tank do you keep your avatar in?
At only 2 years old this small fry is kind of beefy! Not to mention, he has a lot of personality... the sort that wants to run the whole house ...er...tank... That being said, I'm open to size suggestions! So far, he outgrows everything rather quickly!! lol
macca said:
When using a UV Sterilizer in a home aquarium, the UV unit should be placed last in the filtration line. You want to first filter the aquarium water through your mechanical filter and then run the water through the UV device before returning the water to your fish tank

My canister filter has the inflow water running through and pass the uv light before getting filtered and then pumped out. Wondering if this would be an issue?
Yes, mine is set up that way. With your sterilizer inline before your water is filtered, not only will it be less effective at eliminating organisms as it will also be trying to sterilize all the debris and impurities that should have already been removed by your filter but, you'll increase the risk of breakage to the quartz sleeve and bulb should debris enter the UV unit. I'm not sure how large the debris would have to be to actually damage the sleeve and/or bulb but, that's what the manufacture's directions say. Another thought, the cleaner the water that passes through the unit, the slower the sleeve will become dirty and need cleaning.
 

Matt B

Well Known Member
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
45
Points
143
Experience
Just started
I have a 3 year old so I know what you mean!! I thought I liked to keep my sneakers fresh and clean! She gets new ones like every 1-2 months or her little toes get smooshed.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Messages
168
Reaction score
4
Points
63
Experience
4 years
Matt B said:
I have a 3 year old so I know what you mean!! I thought I liked to keep my sneakers fresh and clean! She gets new ones like every 1-2 months or her little toes get smooshed.
I can totally understand! And we can't buy shoes that are too big in order to give them a little room to grow either! If we do they fall constantly! (It probably doesn't help that once they've learned to run they never walk anymore! lol)
 

macca

Well Known Member
Messages
989
Reaction score
11
Points
83
Experience
1 year
LisaAnne said:
At only 2 years old this small fry is kind of beefy! Not to mention, he has a lot of personality... the sort that wants to run the whole house ...er...tank... That being said, I'm open to size suggestions! So far, he outgrows everything rather quickly!! lol
Yes, mine is set up that way. With your sterilizer inline before your water is filtered, not only will it be less effective at eliminating organisms as it will also be trying to sterilize all the debris and impurities that should have already been removed by your filter but, you'll increase the risk of breakage to the quartz sleeve and bulb should debris enter the UV unit. I'm not sure how large the debris would have to be to actually damage the sleeve and/or bulb but, that's what the manufacture's directions say. Another thought, the cleaner the water that passes through the unit, the slower the sleeve will become dirty and need cleaning.
Ok. That defeats the whole purpose of having a uv filter in the first place. Doesn't make sense why it would be designed this way only to reduce the life/structure of the uv setup. My canister has an 1800lph outflow with an 8w uv which is also pointless as you need a much higher wattage for uv to be effective at eliminating bacteria, parasites etc with such a high lph outflow. My canister only came with 3 coarse sponges as well lol so much for filtration. I guess, "you get what you pay for". Hmm...now i'm wondering how long the impeller will hold up for..
 

Matt B

Well Known Member
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
45
Points
143
Experience
Just started
There can be large difference between working Gph/Lph and what it is rated for. Media can slow the flow quite a bit in some cases.

I know what you mean though, I have a 9w sterilizer built into a 360 Gph rated canister. It has cleared up green water before but I wouldn't trust it for more complex organisms that take more exposure to be effected.
 

anahiii24

Well Known Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
8
Points
63
Experience
1 year
What about if the UV unit is not attached to the filter at all? Will this be like a totally pointless and a waste of time and money?
 

macca

Well Known Member
Messages
989
Reaction score
11
Points
83
Experience
1 year
anahiii24 said:
What about if the UV unit is not attached to the filter at all? Will this be like a totally pointless and a waste of time and money?
Like an inline uv filter that's attached to your filter pipe/tube?
Great profile photo by the way.
 

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,390
Reaction score
293
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I think Anahii is referring to self contained UV unit that operates by itself. I have seen similar units that are more like an internal filter, they go inside the tank and suck up water, pass it through the UV and then water goes back into the tank. If that is what you are referring to, than it should work well. It depends on the size of the tank and the flow the UV unit. I'm sure it won't hurt, it may help a little bit or it may help a lot. I would install it near the outflow of your filter, so it mainly sucks in filtered water. That way it won't get clogged up with any debris. The flow of the filter will push the water that comes out of the UV unit into the rest of the tank.
 

anahiii24

Well Known Member
Messages
590
Reaction score
8
Points
63
Experience
1 year
macca said:
Like an inline uv filter that's attached to your filter pipe/tube?
Great profile photo by the way.

No, I am refering to the self contained UV filter.
Thanks, that was our Easter picture. Our 4 year old and I.


Dolfan said:
I think Anahii is referring to self contained UV unit that operates by itself. I have seen similar units that are more like an internal filter, they go inside the tank and suck up water, pass it through the UV and then water goes back into the tank. If that is what you are referring to, than it should work well. It depends on the size of the tank and the flow the UV unit. I'm sure it won't hurt, it may help a little bit or it may help a lot. I would install it near the outflow of your filter, so it mainly sucks in filtered water. That way it won't get clogged up with any debris. The flow of the filter will push the water that comes out of the UV unit into the rest of the tank.
yes that's the one i am talking about. I am not really sure how it works or anything because the husband just went and order it in hopes it would help clear the cloudy water we've had for a long time. We are also dealing with green spot algae so hopeful it works.
He said that it just goes inside your tank so yes, that's exactly the same. I think the wattage is 5w and is up to 40 gals. Our tank is a 55 but most of the reviews of this particular one were people using it with tanks bigger than ours.

Thank you, that is a great idea (to install it by the outflow). Immediately after I read if it was attached to the intake filter was better because of the debris... i was like WHAAAT!

But i am glad to know that it would do some good. I guess I just have to try it.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom