UV sterilizer question... again

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My Aqua UV bulb blew out after about 2 weeks! (BIG bummer since they are $60+ to replace!) I don't believe that the bulb was defective since it was working, (if only for a short time) and the bulb is now scorched near the filament. That being so, I'm wondering if I have a transformer problem. I removed the bulb and checked for any sign of moisture... none. The next thing is to test the voltage in the transformer. My problem is, I have no idea how many volts there should be for a 57 watt UV bulb. lol Anyone know how I calculate that? I want to make sure my transformer is preforming properly before I put my new bulb in and risk blowing it also. I can replace my transformer for about $99 which is only $40 more than a replacement bulb! Still if I don't have to replace the transformer, that would be stupendous!

Also, any other ideas about why my bulb may have failed would be most welcome!

Aqua bulb.jpg

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What brand is it? I usually get a warranty, bring it back to the store and get the whole system replaced. If not, receipts usually last 30 days.

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it isn't the unit that was new. Only the bulb was new. If my unit blew the bulb, due to some malfunction within my transformer, then I couldn't expect to return the bulb. I'm trying to pinpoint my problem before I blow another bulb.

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have the specific model, you may be able to find a manual. Maybe try emailing the company?

Not sure it will be all that helpful with what you are specifically looking for.

Does the transformer have any information on it?
I know most transformers for house hold equipment will give input/output..etc.

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I found an number to call for support. I'll be calling them today as soon as support availability starts!

Thanks for the link! I do have the manual and have read and reread it... couldn't find all the answers I needed, and the transformer only has the brand name, and the serial number. Bummer! lol

After a lot of reading on the web, I'm not sure that using a meter will give me a definite answer anyway. It can only tell me so much. I can use a meter to diagnose if the transformer is not putting out enough volts for operating the bulb. However, new bulbs require a surge greater than the meter can read in order to fire up. The meter will only display the normal operating voltage. Since it will not read the higher voltage needed to initially fire the bulb up, I won't be able to use a meter to determine if my problem is the inability to fire correctly. I'd be able to tell if my transformer can preform that job properly by plugging in a new bulb to see if it fires correctly. Only, if it doesn't fire correctly, due to a possible short being present, it could blow the new bulb as well. That would stink! Hence, I'm trying to figure out my problem another way first, if possible. I'm hoping that support will shed some much needed light on my issue! lol

If I do need to replace my transformer, I'm thinking about a DIY project of switching from electronic to a magnetic/starter ballast... maybe.

andiok

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
now im not an electrician but I kind of do something and read a lot. so what is suggested for the transformer is Add the wattages of the bulb, then add about 10% to allow for the possibility of expansion in the future or any current movements . The transformer output in watts should be equal to that number. So, in your case 57W bulb ad 10% 5.7W= 60-63Watt output from the Transformer.

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks andiok! I read a lot too. Sometimes I read so much that I end up confusing myself and need others to help make sense of everything! lol

I contacted support and was told they have the capability to test my transformer but, that there wasn't really a way that she could explain for me to be able to test it for myself. She basically summed up my problem like this: If there is no moisture present within the areas where it shouldn't be, then I must have a failed transformer. I did a very thorough job of checking for moisture and found none. Also, there is no chance of water being splashed onto this unit where I have it mounted. I guess it's time to buy a new transformer.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom