Uv sterilizer light

Piet

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my planted cherry shrimp tank, I'm struggling with algae that thrive from plant fertilizers and co2. Will it be safe for my shrimp to add a uv sterilizer to my tank?
Thanks
Regards
Piet
IMG_20200116_051831.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think the uv will be a problem. But why is there an algae problem? With co2 and properly used ferts the algae should be kept to a minimum. How many shrimp are in the tank. How big is the tank and what kind of ferts are you using?

Piet

Reaction score
The tank is 200ltr estimates about 100 shrimp I'm using Flourish as per instructions and co2 9hrs daily when lights comes on. The tough algae is under control just difficult to clean off the inside of the glasses with plants planted close by without disruption of the plants roots. I was hoping that uv will eliminate algae to ease the cleaning process.
Thanks

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try Otto cats for the algae on glass. Get 4-6 for that tank. Read up on them because they are a little tougher at first. Next add more plants. Try to get some java moss growing in a patch somewhere. This gives the shrimplets a good place to hide. Next try westeria and hornwort floating. The shrimp luv to climb on them and eat whatever algae is growing. I try to do this on one side of the tank. Funny in my shrimp tanks I don’t use or need the uv. Shrimp eat all algae but bba. So I have a SAE in there as well. Shrimp ottos and a SAE all eat algae.
Now in my 2 other tanks I have uv lights and a thing called the doctors 3-1. This device is used to control algae and does a nice job. It is also shrimp safe. It actually has a shrimp setting. One of my tanks (a discus tank) has a colony of cherry shrimp living in it. They’re hiding most of the time but I do see them in the westeria. The shrimp in here are all culled shrimp (brown or less red).

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Piet

Reaction score
Thanks for the info it really helps a lot. Wil do as suggested thanks again now I also know about the effects of uv on beneficial bacteria

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thing about killing bb is it’s only going to kill what goes through it. Since most of your bb is living and breeding in your filter and substrate it’s pretty much a moot point.

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Start your CO2 two hours before your lights start to let the CO2 reach the right level for the lit period.
There's another thread about UV - your BB should be ok as almost all of it should be protected in your filter - there's not much in your water column.
Also - are your lights on full for 9 hours? That's a long time! We run full on for 5 hrs during late afternoon/early evening for the plants and then turn down for the rest of the evening (so it looks nice - it's in our living room).
We had algae problems early in but it all settled as the tank matured - our main problem now is flare-ups of NBA not other algae.

Piet

Reaction score
Ok thanks I will limit the light to 5 hrs on my timer I'm running a canister filter outside my tank and would like to think the bb will be fine. Thanks for the advice!

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not related to your algae issue. But what is your PH doing during you cycle if CO2? Shrimp will not do well if the PH is not constant. You will have molting issues.
Also, make sure you don’t suck up shrimp on the intake to your UV filter.

Inspector413

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just got done running a regimen of UV light to solve an algal bloom. I've got shrimp (ghost and Amano) and White Clouds. Ran for 5hr/day for 8 days, checking water ever other day. Algae was gone after about 5. No harm to shrimp, fish or beneficial bacteria. In fact, my Amanos spent quite a bit of time crawling all over it, with no ill effects. What a huge difference it made in water quality!

ROFEA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Inspector413 said:
Just got done running a regimen of UV light to solve an algal bloom. I've got shrimp (ghost and Amano) and White Clouds. Ran for 5hr/day for 8 days, checking water ever other day. Algae was gone after about 5. No harm to shrimp, fish or beneficial bacteria. In fact, my Amanos spent quite a bit of time crawling all over it, with no ill effects. What a huge difference it made in water quality!
Inspector413, what cool creature is in your picture?!

Inspector413

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ROFEA said:
Inspector413, what cool creature is in your picture?!
LOL! It's an Orchid Mantis (Hymenopus coronatus).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom