UV sterilizer in HOB?? for 20 gallon tall

Tots22

Earlier I posted about yellow cloudy water...my colors were off. LOL It's green, so likely an algae bloom. First picture is today, second picture is 2 days ago... If I purchased a small submersible uv light and put it into an old hob filter (the light would be the only thing inside it no filter media etc). Would that work? Or is there a better idea? Will it kill off my beneficial bacteria, hurt my live plants, fish, or inverts, perhaps eggs/fry?

Attachments

• 5-27 green water.jpg
    5-27 green water.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210525_120316.jpg
    20210525_120316.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 10

MrBryan723

Your thought process is right, but with what I'm seeing, an in-line UV filter would be far more ideal.
Here's what i would reccomend. Remove your filter media and place it in a small container with some tank water. Add 2ppm H2O2 to the tank and let it run for 2 hours, then replace your media discarding the water you had it in. Repeat this daily for 3 days, then do a couple big(50%) water changes.
It looks like you have a bacteria bloom as well as a green algae bloom both going on at the same time. *After you get that under control, a simple UV sterilizer in an HOB should help you maintain clear water for a while.
If this doesn't work, you might need to look into how much light the tank gets/ how much you're feeding the tank. And we'll go from there.

Upvote 0

Tots22

In case anyone is interested in the future, the UV light in a HOB worked wonders!! We got a tiny UV light that would be submerged and fit in an extra HOB we had and ran it for 1-2 hours every day until it cleared! :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LoganBryant
Replies
Views
tfreema
Replies
Views
RayClem