UV Sterilizer for small tanks

mangups
Guys .. am thinking of getting this ....

a UV filter (9W) ;

anyone used this ... seems to get a lot of + reviews...

ryanr
Why do you want a UV? Is it a preventative measure, or are you having algae troubles?

I haven't done a lot of research into UV (I don't think they're necessary), but the statement about reducing the need for water changes, I disagree with. In a Saltwater system, water changes are paramount to a healthy system.

Also, if I remember correctly, UV tubes have a short life, and need to be replaced quite regularly. I could be wrong though

mangups
ryanr said:
Why do you want a UV? Is it a preventative measure, or are you having algae troubles?

I haven't done a lot of research into UV (I don't think they're necessary), but the statement about reducing the need for water changes, I disagree with. In a Saltwater system, water changes are paramount to a healthy system.

Also, if I remember correctly, UV tubes have a short life, and need to be replaced quite regularly. I could be wrong though
Rynar .... I don't have a algae problem.... More of preventive thing .... I am looking to keep the water clean of parasites and prevent anything from happening...

I am not looking at using this as a means to reduce water changes.....anyways I do need to buy water since the tap water I get has 10 ppm nitrates...basic reasoning when I thought of buying this is get my water as healthy and clean for the aquaria since now I known where then source my problems were with high nitrates
I do agree UV bulbs have a 6~9 month life ...Price for a replacement bulb is 8 USD.... Not a lot considering if it lasts 6 months and prevents parasites, bacteria infection or algae growth....

Latest threads

Top Bottom