Uv Sterilizer For Bacteria And Viruses Question

1. Zypher023

Zypher023 Valued Member Member

Looking for recommendations:
    One of my bettas has lymphocystis. I’m finding very little info about how long the virus is viable/can survive for without a host. I plan to move my betta to his own tank permanently.

The problem is that he’s currently in a split tank with 4 mystery snails on the other side. I’m afraid to move the snails for fear of contaminating my other betta tanks (I now have 9 total).

I have the sterilizer linked below, but I am very very new to sterilizers and would love a recommendation of one suitable for a 10 gallon. I figure cleaning the water is going to be my best bet to let the virus die so I can move the snails or put a new fish in.

AA Aquarium AAUV3WR Green Killing Machine Clip-On UV Filter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLLMTCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-NdjBbYPKEQN3

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

In general, UV sterilizers aren’t very good at killing bacteria and parasites because the light isn’t strong enough. It does wonders for algae though.

3. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

I've found gotta go overkill and slow the flow down so there is more contact time

4. Marlin

Marlin Valued Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Zypher023 Valued Member Member

Thankfully I don’t have an algae problem. :)

I did. Thanks! Someone sent me to that page earlier today from a Facebook post.

Does anyone know how long it might survive? What about my snails? Will they transmit it since they’ll be wet?

I have one or two other bettas who touched the same breeder net as him before this happened. So it might already be elsewhere.