UV Sterilizer for a 55gal freshwater tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Simona, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SimonaNew MemberMember

Hello :) I hope I didn't post on the wrong forum I didn’t see a section for UV Sterilizers. I have a 55gal freshwater aquarium and my UV sterilizer called ''Green killing machine'' stopped working correctly after 4 months in the tank.( the red small light went off and it started to get really hot when I tried to unplug it and also at the box where the red light used to be on!!) I am looking to buy something better than that and I know the reviews are saying it's awesome etc. and it gets 4.5 starts out of 5 on Amazon but personally I don't think was doing much else besides dealing with green algae. I am looking for one that doesn't have any in-line hook-ups because I have HoB filters and I don't have more stuff into my tank and I like it simple to just submerge and can kill parasites and algae. I was confused at the fact that there are different flow rates for freshwater and saltwater aquariums? I don't understand.

I was looking at this one SunSun CUP-613 13 Watt UV Pump/Filter- $67.99

Does anyone know if it's good or had any experience with it? Can anyone else recommend me a different one?

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

You can look at this website:

It can be both an inline and submersible, just buy a powerhead with it. It is slimmer, but I don't know about the wattage if it will be effective. I use to have one in my 55 Gallon with no complaints or green algae.

3. OP
    OP
    S

SimonaNew MemberMember

Thank you for the reply but I don't like those, it doesn't say in description that it kills parasites :(

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If it stopped working after 4 months, I'm sure it's still under warranty. I have a green machine and like it very much.

With UV, the flow rate is very important. Some things are killed with brief exposure, while other things need more time in front of the bulb. If you want to be sure your UV is doing all it can, you want a low flow rate.

5. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. Likelihood is there is a warranty on the product still valid.

Im not much for UV in my tanks and have done well without one for quite some time. I believe good care and maintenance alleviates the need for it.

6. Jaysee

I run them because I have them - built into the sunsuns. I don't think they do all that much since the flow rate is so high, but it's there so why not. My green machine does double duty, acting as both UV filter and powerhead. I strategically place it to assist in the proper circulation of the tank.

7. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGAWell Known MemberMember

i bought one from petsmart I'm not sure the brand (never use it) but the sunsuns are cool filters. Cheap too :)

8. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

IMO, money can be better spent somewhere else. If like Jaysee, they are built in, thats a cool feature to have, but again it would be easy to do without it.

9. Jaysee

UV will not benefit everyone the same - it's really dependent upon many factors and is only necessary in specific situations. It's a nice thing to have that can only help your fish, but most wouldn't tell a difference one way or another.

10. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. At the end of the day it's still a nice thing to have. There can always be a useful situation for it.

I can see it being a much cheaper alternative on large QT systems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice