Question UV Sterilization

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So couple years ago I bought a UV sterilizer to combat a green water algae problem in a planted tank. I hooked it up and then thought better of my decision as just being a bandaid solution. Long story short I figured out what changes I needed to make and the green water went away, so did the UV sterilizer.

Fast forward a couple years to recently, had some sick fish related to bacterial infection. Lost a few amazing fish, treated tank with antibiotics for several weeks, made some significant changes to improve the cleanliness of the tank. Tank is blinging better than ever, I thought I had good water before, now it’s so clear I can’t even tell water is in the tank.

So I have this UV sterilizer and today I set it back up in the tank on a timer to run 12 hours a day. I set it up under the premiss that UV light can kill water born bacteria, virus, and fugal spores, why not use it instead of having it around collecting dust.

I searched the forum and couldn’t find the answer I was looking for.

Any one use UV sterilization as part of their ongoing water conditioning regiment? What has been your experience in your tanks using it in comparison to how your tanks were before, have you noticed a difference?

If you don’t use it, why not?

I know on the saltwater side, it seems it is used more often than not.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can only comment on freshwater systems.

Bacteria that infect fish are Commensal Bacteria and therefore UV filters have little affect on them.

UV filters are useful to clear green water in a new tank or after pertubation.

UV filters can effectively clear the water allowing the macro-plants to grow vigorously and therefore utilise the nutrients that caused the quicker growing green water to form in the first place.

They can then be switched off when the system is stable and not subject to further disruption.

Unstressed fish kept in optimal environmental conditions without unsuitable tankmates are not generally at risk of disease except possibly in old age.

Reasons I have for not using my UV filter:
1. Cost
2. Maintenance
3. Tankspace
4. Wasteful

OP
!poogs!

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, that’s pretty definitive.

So are you saying ALL bacteria that infect fish are commensal bacteria?

Since we know the majority of fish disease are aerobic infections, does the commensal relationship of the bacteria exist between the bacteria and the oxygen in water molecules or does it always exist between the bacteria and the host? Humans, fish, all living things are full of commensual bacteria. So are you saying ALL bacteria which make fish sick are already living on fish as a host, and is it the colonization of these bacteria which make fish sick? That is to say aquarium fish are unique living things and are not infected by environmental sources of bacteria, only ones they are the host of.

Is it possible some of the bacteria responsible for killing fish are pathogenic bacteria?

I think a fair statement is that some of the bacteria which are responsible for infecting and killing fish come from 3 possible sources. The environment (the water), the dermis of the fish, and internally (the later two possibly sometimes having a commensal relationship with the host fish). I do agree that parasites, poor water quality, and stress cause a state in fish whereby they become more susceptible to bacterial infection from one of the three sources mentioned above. So if UV sterilization kills water-born parasites and bacteria, this would lend itself to better water quality which the inverse is a cause of stress in fish, wouldn’t it?

So back to my original question...

Any one use UV sterilization as part of their ongoing water conditioning regiment? What has been your experience in your tanks using it in comparison to how your tanks were before, have you noticed a difference?

New Threads