UV Plumbing Location

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Curt, Mar 26, 2010.

1. C

Curt New Member Member

I'm setting up a 90Gal FOWLR tank with sump in basement. I am going to have two drain lines coming from the display tank to the sump. My question is this: Can I plumb a UV lite on one of the drain lines coming from the display tank going to the sump? If not WHY NOT. I understand the UV must have a given flow rate through it. If this is doable would it be better dumping into the refuge section or the skimmer section? The reason I'd like to do this is to keep head loss down for the return line so as to achieve a better flow rate. Thanks for your help

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

No that is not a good idea . First of all why are you wanting to use Uv do you have alot of fish in your tank? When I say alot I mean over stocked. Can you tell me more about your tank as in filtration, power heads ? Skimmer? RO water? need more Info Please!

3. OP
    OP
    C

Curt New Member Member

Thanks for the reponse. I have no fish yet. I'm brand new at this and learning (I hope) as I go. My display tank is a 90Gal on the first floor of my home. The sump is a 55Gal aquarium in my basement below. The sump has a refuge section on one end and a skimmer section on the other end. Both sections flow to a middle "return" section. I will be using RO/DI water. You had said that my proposal was NOT a good idea, could you please elaborate. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

UV light need slower water flow to do a good job, the light would have to be close to 75 watt for a 90 gal tank....jmho

5. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Depends on what your plans are for this tank are you doing a FOWLR or a reef? Uv lights are a waste of money if you ask me I have never used one and will not. I do have one on my pond just to help out on string algae. other than that I would skip it aand if you plan on a reef you will kill alot of wanted things such as algaes etc. If you where going to have a wet and dry filter with no live rock then I would say yes if you want to spend the money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice