UV and Probiotic Bacteria

swordstool

Maybe this is a noob question, but is it pointless to add some kind of probiotic bacteria (e.g. Tropical Marine Max) if I'm running UV, i.e., will the UV just end up killing/damaging the probiotic bacteria along with the 'bad' bacteria? Don't know if it matters, but I'm running a 125g FOWLR with a Coralife Turbo Twist 6X UV Sterilizer.

ryanr

HI swordstool,
UV sterilisers don't discriminate, and will kill all forms of bacteria that reside in the water column.

Probiotic dosing (aka carbon dosing) requires a very effective protein skimmer, if you're not running a skimmer, don't try carbon dosing/probiotics, the result is typically a very cloudy yucky tank.

Additionally, nutrient reduction methods in Saltwater should not be mixed, one should choose between one of 3 common methods
1) Refugium with macro algae
2) Reactors with Phosphate and Nitrate absorbing media
3) Carbon-dosing; could be Vodka, Vodka/Sugar/Vinegar, Red Sea NO3O4-X, bio-pellets, probiotics.

What are you current NO3 and PO4 readings?

swordstool

Thanks for the info Ryan. My nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10-15. All I'm looking to do by adding the Tropical Marine Max is to help prevent disease. Have you used it, or something similar?

ryanr

Ahh, different probiotic. To be honest, I don't find a need to use preventative treatments.

If you properly quarantine stock prior to putting in the tank, you should prevent most diseases from entering your tank. Combined with good maintenance (water changes).

I would think the UV would kill off the bacteria you dose.

swordstool

Okay, thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Aquarist