Utricularia Graminifolia Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DutchAquarium, Apr 14, 2018.

1. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I've grown everything out their from Tonina species to blyxa and to ludwigia pantanal. The only plant that i know that i haven't been able to grow is utricularia graminifolia. What am i doing wrong? I keep my planted aquariums at 77 degrees with undergravel heaters to promote root growth. I have high lighting with high co2 injections and i dose with full nutrients, so that is not the problem. I do have hard water, but that hasn't been a problem for me in the past. I've tried growing it emersed and submersed with no luck. Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    D

i use amazonia. the top layer is the fine grained amazonia

4. TexasDomer

Temp and water hardness can be issues in some tanks. I'm not sure if that's the case for this one, I'll look around a bit more.

What kind of lighting do you have? What's the bps?

5. OP
    OP
    D

the lighting is custom and i know thats not the problem. the bps is 2.

6. TexasDomer

That doesn't seem like much. I would try increasing it if it doesn't hurt your fish. But it could be a temp/hardness issue.

7. OP
    OP
    D

co2 is at a good place right now. All plants including stem are putting out heavy pearlings.

8. TexasDomer

What works for one plant doesn't always work for another.

9. OP
    OP
    D

I can't put more co2 into that aquarium without risk of gassing the fish, it's put pretty high. And yes i know everyplant is different but i know there is nothing wrong with the big three. I'm pretty sure the problem is starting with a bad plant. They don't appear to ship well.

10. TexasDomer

2 bps isn't that high. I don't know your pH/KH (and I'm not good with calculating that stuff with CO2 concentration), but I do know people who do higher bps. Just wondering why you're asking if you think you know the answer and you reject everything I offer? Just trying to offer up possible ideas, that's all :)

11. OP
    OP
    D

I've got another system running at 5 bubbles a second, so i'm not knew to the idea of a higher bps. That also doesn't explainwhy it won't grow emersed either. I'm not shooting down your ideas, but it's easier to limit a problem knowing what is working. I was hoping there were some people out there that have experience with the plant and could tell me what they are growing it in.

12. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

BPS is highly inaccurate, its better to check with a dropchecker or do the math in accordance to ph/kH. BPS also depends on tank size, and is something that should never be used as a measurement. A 500g tank with low ph will be -by a lot - different to a 5g with high pH....

To OP, have you had any success with other carpeting plants? I assume you use ferts - may of missed this, but worth asking.

What usually happens? Does it just melt and then never come back or just slowly deteriorate?

13. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried ordering from a different source? Sometimes I’ve round this to be the easiest way to sptest. I believe even petco sells them as TC.
    Han aquatics and liquid creations are my go tos for plants, they adapt well to my conditions. Other places not so much.
    Note of interest, similar to you I’ve had carpets, panatal, etc etc... yet I can’t get a banana plant to grow for me... we all have an Achilles heel somewhere...

14. OP
    OP
    D

Oops sorry, yes i do know bps depends on tank size. I have drop checkers and i did the calculations for co2 concentration. I've had success with all carpeting plants in the past and i do use ferts. both water column and substrate. Usually the plant turns yellow by day 2 and then melts back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice