Using Water from a Cycled Tank and Adding to a Tank that's not

mattyluke

Reaction score
Hello, I think I came accross a post that speaks of this but I'm not sure.

If you are cycling a new tank, say about 19 days in, would it be a good idea to add water from the existing cycled tank when the weekly water change is done to the tank that is not cycled yet? I wasn't sure if that would give me false reading on my testing or not and just confuse things.

As always, thank you very much!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bacteria usually grows on the gravel, decor and in the filter so I don't think the water would help/hurt your tank. If you want to speed up teh cycle you colud move a little gravel from the cycled tank.
Carol

OP
M

mattyluke

Reaction score
Thank you Carol, I did add some gravel from cycled tank to the new one. I was just wondering if using the water for be a good thing or bad thing. I guess I was mostly concerned with test readings. Would it give me false positives on the readings in regards to using the test readings as the basis for knowing when the tank is cycled? Or would it just be normal anyway because it all goes through the filter?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think it will make any difference testing wise.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
I used water from a cycled tank when doing routine water changes to the other tanks, even though its not supposed to make any difference....but I guessed it wouldnt do any harm!! even if it speeded up the cycle by a day i'd be happy! so I guess its up to you!! it's probably pointless doing it, but its just as easy to throw it in the new tank than away and I used it "just in case" it made the slightest difference!!! I am extremely impatient though, so will try anything to speed things up!!! ;D

New Threads