Using Water Changer... When to dechlorinate?

Honos

I'm using a water changer hooked to my faucet to add water during a PWC. When should I dechlorinate with a produce like Prime?

I reviewed various threads and I've learned it should be before or during refilling, but not after. I've also learned it should be for the whole tank, not just what water was removed. So I guess the real question is what is best for the fish... before or during? Also, how long does it take for the Prime to work?

Finally, should I have my canister filter off during this time? I was thinking it would be bad to get any chlorinated water into the filter media. If turned off, how long does it take before I can restart the filter?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

James95

These are great questions!

I add a full-tank dosage of Prime right before I refill the tank. According to Seachem, Prime instantly binds with chlorine and chloramine to detoxify them. I'm not sure how true that is, but my fish have never suffered from chlorine poisoning so I lean towards believing Seachem's claim.

I always leave my canister off during the refilling process. Letting chlorinated water run through a filter probably isn't the best thing for beneficial bacteria. I usually restart the filter 5 minutes after the tank is completely full again.

Ziggi

I agree completely with James! I prefer to be safe and put the products in, I usually do something else for half a minute or swirl the water just in case, then refill

Butterbean

I put my conditioner in when I start adding the water to the tank. I have a python so I pour it into the stream of water going into my tank and that puts it throughout the tank pretty fast. I use enough for the whole tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
JRC3
Replies
Views
matsungit
Replies