Using TSS - How to know when cycled Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

What pattern should I see in my water readings as time goes by? It's been 2 days so far since adding it to the tank.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. freak78 Well Known Member Member

I added my bottle on 12/21/09 my reading's were up a little before I added it. Ever since they've been coming down. I have no ammonia and the Nitrite is below 0.3. Nitrate is like 5 or less.

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Thats my ain to have zero ammonia. but since adding 3 days ago the ammonia reading has been 1. So as long as it aint rising.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't worry about the readings for a week. After 7 days, test your water. If it is 0,0,5-20, you are cycled. If it isn't, wait 3 more days and test again. By then it should be done. If it isn't, post your readings and we'll help you through it. :)

6. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks again meenu! :)

While I remember since establishing my aquarium readings have been around the following:
    Ammonia: 0-4
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0-5

What does this mean? eg my plants are working to help with the nitrite conversion to nitrate, but the bacteria not thriving as it should be. Sorry if there are mistakes i'm new to the nitrogen cycle.

Thank You

:animal0068:Hello I have merged your posts to save some space. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for additional comments (should there be no responses) and corrections.
    Thanks!
    Ken

7. rae64 Well Known Member Member

In the nitrogen cycle, your ammonia and nitrite reading should start at zero, then rise, and eventually fall to zero. The ammonia rises to different levels, depending on several factors. The nitrate should steadily rise, until a water change is done. TSS speeds up this cycle, so the same thing happens, just over a shorter period of time. The ammonia typically falls first, then the nitrite falls.

If your ammonia is 1, then it has fallen from 4.0, correct? So, you are on the verge of the ammonia falling. Once it is zero, you have enough bacteria to manage the ammonia output in your tank.

Have you had any nitrite readings? Be sure to shake the bottle really well.

For nitrate, yes your plants will absorb some, but not enough to compensate for weekly water changes ONCE YOUR CYCLE IS FINISHED. Any water changes done during your cycle will elongate the cycle period. When testing for nitrate, you have to bang the bottles on the counter for about a minute to get an accurate reading. The bottle needs to say: SHAKE VERY VERY VIGOROUSLY--- even though it doesn't.

p.s. Your cycle may take longer than normal because of how stocked your aquarium is. It is typically recommended with TSS to add 1 small fish per gallon, which in your case would be 2 of your platys. Because you have more like 6 fish per gallon, your cycle will take longer.

8. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks rae64! YEah I was quite concerned because I have never had a nitrite reading in the past week while usign my test kit since I got it. The aquarium is planted with around 7 decent sized plants hornwort and wysteria. I'll check the levels again in a week and repost. You have been very helpful

9. rae64 Well Known Member Member

glad to help :) I am actually cycling too with TSS, and have gotten some great advise on my situation as well. Patience is the key! Do you have the API liquid tests? If not I would highly suggest them.

10. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

The trick is to not do any test for the week after you add TSS. It will give you some crazy readings that will only cause stress and concerns. Some people see the readings and then change the water, thus removing the TSS and the cycling stops. Be patient, let it sit for seven days, then start testing and see what needs to be done. Hopefully nothing.

11. David C Well Known Member Member

I agree with flyin-lowe. I have used TSS twice and the most difficult part is to forget about the tank for that first week, but it really is the best idea. The stuff is awesome IMHO.

Dave

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Cheers guys :)

13. VenomGrass Member Member

Todays readings:
    4 = Ammonia
    0 = Nitrite
    5 = Nitrate

Is this progress?

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im worried about your readings with the tss...between moving fish out and in after adding it, im not sure if its doing what its suppose to be doing venom....4 for ammonia isnt good even with tss...IMO you should be doing water changes as that is just too high....I think by removing the shark, putting in the rams, and didnt you have a huge snail you added after a few days? (or am im confusing you with another memebr?) either way, id start water changes with prime if it were me

15. VenomGrass Member Member

Nope I dont have a snail; but do I need to do water changes. what percentage by day? Will I need to buy more TSS?

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you want to go the TSS route, you need to add it and leave the tank be..dont move fish in and out etc....at this point, if you want TSS to work, order a new bottle for a 30g tank..until you get it, do daily water changes with prime.....once you get it, do a daily water change with prime, wait 24 hours, add your tss and leave the tank alone for 7 days...no new fish and dont remove any fish....im sure other members would recommend leaving this bottle for the 7 days, but IMO that ammonia is too high....

17. VenomGrass Member Member

I have a spare bottle stored below the tank unopened. 50ml bottle. Dosage 5ml per 6Li of aquarium water. So
    60/6 = 10
    10 x 5ml = 50ml

Perfect size.
    Should I do a water change now then add? How much % Change?
    Thanks for helping me here

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what does it say on the front of the bottle? treats up to how many gallons?
    you add the ENTIRE bottle no matter how much is in there..but it has to be at least for 30gals....IMO you need a couple days of water changes with the prime..that ammonia is just too high for the fish to go another 7 days....and the ammonia at 4ppm might be too much for the tss as well....

19. VenomGrass Member Member

First time I added the entire bottle. When buying I got a second free from the LFS which is the one spare - in the shop they said keep one bottle incase needed and add all of one bottle into the tank then wait a week or so.. I dont know what to do, plus I dont have prime.

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

can you find the little white circle on the front of the bottle? i says for up to how many gallons on each bottle....you need to get that ammonia down before wasting any more money on tss and to save the fish babies ....I think its too high for tss to be effective...but thats just my opinion