Using Tss For The First Time...

1. C

CasaDaFish New Member Member

I had a huge disaster where my whole bio system crashed on what I thought was an established tank of around 1.5 years.. Huge ammonia spike, milky white water and a massive plant die off.. I'm still unsure what could have caused this but that's not the issue any more.

It's now been a few months since the crash, ammonia has started to drop (way lower than it was) and I'm getting high nitrite readings which I assume is a good thing and a sign the cycle is in effect again (finally).. I was stuck with just ammonia for the longest time.

I have just been told about TSS, I am wondering whether it is worth adding at this stage.. I am now seeing the cycle that I've been desperately waiting to see and wouldn't want to mess anything up any more, but would also like to speed things up as much as possible.

I'm still reading ammonia at about 3ppm and have a maxed out reading of nitrite with a small reading of nitrate that has definitely increased slightly from the reading I get from the tap water.

Somehow my poor fish have managed to all survive living in off the scale ammonia for at least two months, I'm so happy to see things are starting to move along in the cycle but if things could be sped up at all that would be amazing, I'd hate to loose one so far into this.

I have done everything I can to keep them alive, and understand in a perfect situation they would have been moved until it's sorted but unfortunately that's not an option for me.

My tank is 240L running a fluval 306 canister with biohome ultimate media.

My stock is currently:
    6 Corys
    7 Harlequin
    12 Glowlight Tetras
    1 Lace Gourami

Many thanks in advance!

Casa.

2. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You need to be doing daily water changes to get that ammonia down. You can't just let them live in water that is full of ammonia and nitrites.

Get your ammonia down to .25 or .5...no higher...then add the TSS+

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you for not answering the question.. The off the scale ammonia was being controlled with daily water changes. My question was regarding whether its worth using Tetra Safe Start to help move things along.

4. Kellye8498

Since I recommended using TSS I thought the answer was implied but I'll say it loud enough for those to hear it in the back, yes! Use TSS+ :/

5. OP
    OP
    C

Haha I'm sorry, I do appreciate the help... So there will be no adverse effects from using TSS even though the tank has started cycling on its own?

6. Kellye8498

Nope. Nothing adverse will happen. You just need to make sure the ammonia is between .25 to .5 so high ammonia levels don't kill off the bacteria.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks Kelly I appreciate the help!

8. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

Yep before using TSS you'll need water changes even if ammonia levels drop, the high nitrites will stall the cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Thought that would be the case.. How long should I wait after doing the W/C before adding the TSS? I've read that de-chlorinators can make it less or un effective.

10. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I personally do not like TSSplus due to the fact that they recommend no water changes for 14 days which r crucial through the fish in cycling process. I prefer Stability paired with Prime by Seachem. Prime detoxifies ammonia nitrite and nitrate at 1ppm for 24hours while Stability is ur bottled bacteria designed to use with Prime. Don't get me wrong..TSSplus won't hurt ur cycle.