Using the V breeder tank

1. MandytheMom Initiate Member

Hi! :;hi1

I'm new here and although I have reviewed many posts, I didn't see the answer to my question. I apologize in advance if it is out there!

I have a 50g tank with 8 mollies (different types, but all mollies). I know 3 females are pregnant and seem to have been forever! We have had 4 previous fries which I had to catch to get into our fry tank. I recently bought the V shaped tank but the part for the mom seems so small! I don't want her in there for long, but then again, I don't want to stress her out by catching her while she's birthing.

So, in short, how long can you have the mom in the breeder before she gives birth? 'Fishing" out all the babies is exhausting! This seems like such an easy way to collect them but not if it will hurt the mom.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I would only leave her in there for a maximum of 2-3 days. She should look square from the front when she is about to drop fry.

Hope you enjoy the site!

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and :sign0016: to FishLore!

I agree with Dlondon re: max of 2-3 days. Only put her in when she squares off.

Another option is to put her in a breeder NET that fits inside the tank. She'll have more space to swim during birth, but the fry won't be separated from her. So you'll have to remove her as soon as she's done birthing. I believe that pregnant livebearers have more of a certain hormone while they're birthing that makes them much less likely to eat their fry. Guess the hormone makes them not hungry. Someone with more livebearer breeding experience should be along shortly to give you more information!

Keep us posted!

4. MandytheMom Initiate Member

thanks so much for the responses. I put the V tank in last night and woke up to 8 babies! She has since dropped 8 more. I've never seen babies this small before! I'm going to leave her in there a bit longer as she is still quite large, but non the less, pull her out after dinner tonight.

So glad I followed your advice. No way I would have caught them if she birthed in the tank.

Interesting about the hormone comment. I did watch her eat two babies that swam back up in between the cracks. Maybe she was just really, really hungry!!

Thanks again!
    Mandy