Using Sponge Tank Filter Media As A Divider

Faytaya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello.
My friend wants to keep multiple Male bettas in a large tank. We discussed dividers and I remember seeing aquarium co-OP running a sort of system with aquarium sponge mat as dividers. If this gets paired with a canister filter, would it be too much flow for bettas, or would low setting stop the media from doing bio filtration? I'm curious.
Thanks in advance.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Some people even keep multiple males and females together with no dividers.

OP
Faytaya

Faytaya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Some people even keep multiple males and females together with no dividers.

I don't feel experienced enough for that honestly.

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put the canister intake on one side of the foam divider and the return on the other side. This will create a flow through the foam and you'll have a combination divider and Matten filter. If the tank has only bettas, you don't need a spray bar return to ripple the top of the water so you can direct the return off into a corner that the fish can avoid if it bothers them. You'll get a lot more filtration this way too since the foam divider will be a filter.

Homeslice

Well Known
Reaction score
I think SwissTropicals have foam sponges that are designed for Hamburg-Matten filters, and supposedly I think they are cut to the correct size to slide vertically into different sized aquariums and completely divide the left from the right. They can be ordered in different widths as well. Theoretically I guess you could have several in an aquarium meaning several different partitioned areas. Almost like a zoo!

New Threads