Using Sponge Filter After Qt?

default-fish
i'm currently treating my betta Finneon for fin rot right now with Microbe-Lift Artemiss (I didnt want to use anything too heavy and wanted to see how well it worked). however the sponge filter I placed into my QT tank was originally from my main 10 gallon. will it be safe to move back into my 10 gallon after treatment or should I rinse it off before returning it? I know that will destroy the biological bacteria but if it will keep from any issues rising out of it...

BlackSkirtTetra
It is always safer to rinse off and clean the QT after use. This will make it much safer for your fish.

default-fish
ok thank you! will just rinsing with water work or should I add something else?

FinalFins
So you moved both the filter and the fish to a new tank? Is the betta alone in the 10 gallon?

BlackSkirtTetra
ok thank you! will just rinsing with water work or should I add something else?

The best strategy is to empty the tank of as much or all water possible, and rinse out the substrate with warm water. Take all ornaments out and treat them as necessary. Normal water will do but, warm or hot water is better.

Hmm
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful

smee82
For just treating finrot it should be fine to reuse in the 10 gallon with just a rinse under the tap.

default-fish
So you moved both the filter and the fish to a new tank? Is the betta alone in the 10 gallon?

the betta has a separate smaller tank out in our kitchen. My 10 gallon is a separate established tank that had two sponge filters running it because I had an extra one, and more bacteria is better lol. I needed the extra one this time though to set up quarantine. I didnt want to dose in my bettas original tank because I have live plants and snails in it with him and Artemiss doesn't list if it has copper in it. plus the tank needed a rescape anyways
it doesn't really matter anyways, I just wanted to know if I need to clean the sponge before returning it

The best strategy is to empty the tank of as much or all water possible, and rinse out the substrate with warm water. Take all ornaments out and treat them as necessary. Normal water will do but, warm or hot water is better.

hot water it is then would prime or any other chem do anything to help or nah?

jjohnwm
Okay, let's think this through. You removed your betta from the 10gal into a hospital tank to treat finrot. You took a sponge filter from the 10gal at the same time, which is great because it means that the QT is pretty much completely cycled, so the fish suffers no stress from ammonia levels. You successfully treat the finrot, or perhaps it is cured simply by the improved water conditions in the QT (which is often the case). Hopefully, there is still some kind of filter still running continuously in the 10gal.

Since the entire QT was treated successfully, you can now return both fish and sponge to the main tank without worry. I would simply squeeze the QT tank water out of the sponge so as to avoid transferring any significant amount of whatever medication you used into the main tank. No other cleaning or rinsing of the sponge is needed or desired at this point.

Empty, clean and dry the QT and set it aside for the next time you need it. For future reference, you could actually place a second, smaller sponge filter into your main tank and run it there permanently so it is always available at short notice for QT use, letting you leave the main sponge running in the display tank.

Edited to add: I am not sure I read this recent post correctly. Do you have substrate in the QT? That's not needed and just complicates the cleanup at the end of the process.

default-fish
Okay, let's think this through. You removed your betta from the 10gal into a hospital tank to treat finrot. You took a sponge filter from the 10gal at the same time, which is great because it means that the QT is pretty much completely cycled, so the fish suffers no stress from ammonia levels. You successfully treat the finrot, or perhaps it is cured simply by the improved water conditions in the QT (which is often the case). Hopefully, there is still some kind of filter still running continuously in the 10gal.

Since the entire QT was treated successfully, you can now return both fish and sponge to the main tank without worry. I would simply squeeze the QT tank water out of the sponge so as to avoid transferring any significant amount of whatever medication you used into the main tank. No other cleaning or rinsing of the sponge is needed or desired at this point.

Empty, clean and dry the QT and set it aside for the next time you need it. For future reference, you could actually place a second, smaller sponge filter into your main tank and run it there permanently so it is always available at short notice for QT use, letting you leave the main sponge running in the display tank.

my main tank does have its other filter, so it will be fine for the 10 day treatment period. and I thought the same thing, about using my established sponge so the QT would be mostly cycled if not all.

I did a 100% water change in my bettas old tank, there wasn't anything on the tests but I just wanted to be sure. I actually think Finn had fin rot since I had bought him, but I never noticed it because his find were white until he recently "outgrew" them. hes dark blue jow and the white fuzz is very noticeable now. he always had red on his fins but I didnt give it much thought because I thought he might have had the "koi" gene. rookie mistake :\

anyways, ok! ill be sure to clean it up and let it dry. I usually keep it right next to my 10 gal anyways (it holds my fish supplies when not in use) so its really easy for me to swap the sponge filter from one tank to the other. ill be sure to keep it running in my main tank for future use

thank you for your input! <3

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Cichlidude