Using Seachem Prime And Stability During Cycling

Ed204
Hello fellow aquarist,
I am interested in using both Seachem Prime and Stability to cycle my 120 fish tank and I have a couple of questions regarding this.
1. Is it true that you have to wait 24 hours to add Stability after dosing Prime?
2. For a 120 gallon tank what's the proper dosage? Is it written on the back of the product or their site?
3. I've read that in previous posts that while dosing on this medication you can only introduce 1 fish per week, as in one fish as a big fish like a Severum or can I introduce multiple fish but small in size like yoyo Loaches?
4. Has anyone had success with these products before in Cycling if yes, please tell me how it ended up.

Thanks Guys!
-Edward

Aquaphobia
1. No. That rule applies to Tetra Safe Start. Seachem Stability is meant to be used with Prime.

2. The dosage should be on the bottle but it's available online as well. Probably listed as a certain dose per gallon or per 10 gallons but the math is easy.

3. Right. You don't want to overwhelm the bacteria while it's trying to get established.

4. Lots of people! CindiL is one

CindiL
Hello fellow aquarist,
I am interested in using both Seachem Prime and Stability to cycle my 120 fish tank and I have a couple of questions regarding this.
1. Is it true that you have to wait 24 hours to add Stability after dosing Prime?
2. For a 120 gallon tank what's the proper dosage? Is it written on the back of the product or their site?
3. I've read that in previous posts that while dosing on this medication you can only introduce 1 fish per week, as in one fish as a big fish like a Severum or can I introduce multiple fish but small in size like yoyo Loaches?
4. Has anyone had success with these products before in Cycling if yes, please tell me how it ended up.

Thanks Guys!
-Edward

Hi,
1. No, you don't need to wait 24 hours. The only product I am aware of that has that stipulation is TSS+ as mentioned.
2. Is 120 liters or gallons? Directions are on the back but I would use the 1st day dosage every day until cycled, not cut back and not stop at a week.
3. Just fyI it is not a medication but a bottle of bacteria. Rule of thumb for cycling with fish is 1 small fish per 10g, so I'd count a 3 inch fish (for cycling purposes) at least as 2-3 small fish.
4. Many people have success with these products, they reduce cycling time.

Even with stability though you want to keep your fish safe so follow this formula:
If ammonia + nitrites is less than 1.0 – dose prime for the full volume of water and stability and re-check in 24 hours.
If ammonia + nitrites is 1.0 or greater – do a large water change, dose prime for the full volume of water and stability and re-check in 24 hours.

Ed204
Hi,
1. No, you don't need to wait 24 hours. The only product I am aware of that has that stipulation is TSS+ as mentioned.
2. Is 120 liters or gallons? Directions are on the back but I would use the 1st day dosage every day until cycled, not cut back and not stop at a week.
3. Just fyI it is not a medication but a bottle of bacteria. Rule of thumb for cycling with fish is 1 small fish per 10g, so I'd count a 3 inch fish (for cycling purposes) at least as 2-3 small fish.
4. Many people have success with these products, they reduce cycling time.

Even with stability though you want to keep your fish safe so follow this formula:
If ammonia + nitrites is less than 1.0 – dose prime for the full volume of water and stability and re-check in 24 hours.
If ammonia + nitrites is 1.0 or greater – do a large water change, dose prime for the full volume of water and stability and re-check in 24 hours.
Hi, and thanks! When you mean adding fish question no 3 do you mean the fish for my permanent stock or cycling fish?and it's a 120 g

CindiL
I think when you do it right there isn't a difference because the fish will remain safe. So I'd buy the fish you want at a very small stocking like I mentioned and cycle with those.

Ed204
I think when you do it right there isn't a difference because the fish will remain safe. So I'd buy the fish you want at a very small stocking like I mentioned and cycle with those.
Okay, Thanks so much!

Ed204
And I keep adding a small group of fish or a single large fish every week right? Until the stock is complete?

CindiL
Not necessarily every week. Let your water tests dictate when to add more fish. When ammonia and nitrites are at 0, then you can add more fish. Keep dosing stability while adding them until the stock is complete though

Ed204
Not necessarily every week. Let your water tests dictate when to add more fish. When ammonia and nitrites are at 0, then you can add more fish. Keep dosing stability while adding them until the stock is complete though
Thank you so much!

bettafish32
Hello, I have been attempting a fishless cycle on my 3.5 gallon tank that eventually will be for 1 betta. I started my fishless cycle about 2 weeks ago. I set up tank, filled it with water, added Seachem Prime, and Stability for the 7 recommended days, and starting using the pure ammonia method. I test the water every other day( using API Master Test Kit) and still have no nitrites, or nitrates, and pH is around 8.0. When I started my ph was around 7.6. I have noticed that my tank water has become a little cloudy...am I doing something wrong?? I only add ammonia when it starts dropping, which only happened once. Does ammonia raise the pH?

I know it is not recommended but if I were to start over, and do a fish in cycle using Seachem Prime and Stability would that work??

mattgirl
Others won't agree with me but doing a fish in cycle is completely doable. You just have to keep a very close eye on the numbers. Do water changes when necessary. Keep the ammonia level below one and use the Prime to neutralize what is left after a water change and your water pet should be fine. It takes a lot of dedication to keeping the water safe.

Or you could take the Tetra Safe Start Plus route. With it you make sure the ammonia level in the tank is as close to zero as possible. Add a proper size bottle of TSS + for the size of your tank and the fish. Do nothing other than very lightly feed the fish for 2 weeks.

At the end of the 2 weeks if all went well your tank should be cycled. If doing this way one needs to follow these directions to a tee or it will fail. You can test the water but doing so may tempt you to disrupt the process because the numbers may look like something is wrong. You have to resist the urge to do so.

bettafish32
Others won't agree with me but doing a fish in cycle is completely doable. You just have to keep a very close eye on the numbers. Do water changes when necessary. Keep the ammonia level below one and use the Prime to neutralize what is left after a water change and your water pet should be fine. It takes a lot of dedication to keeping the water safe.

Or you could take the Tetra Safe Start Plus route. With it you make sure the ammonia level in the tank is as close to zero as possible. Add a proper size bottle of TSS + for the size of your tank and the fish. Do nothing other than very lightly feed the fish for 2 weeks.

At the end of the 2 weeks if all went well your tank should be cycled. If doing this way one needs to follow these directions to a tee or it will fail. You can test the water but doing so may tempt you to disrupt the process because the numbers may look like something is wrong. You have to resist the urge to do so.
I am assuming you have done a fish in cycle? If so, did you use TTS?

Iverg1
You could do a fish-in cycle for bettas as they are hardy fish. I did fish-in cycles for both my bettas and their fine. I believe Anything else you should fish in cycle.

bettafish32
You could do a fish-in cycle for bettas as they are hardy fish. I did fish-in cycles for both my bettas and their fine. I believe Anything else you should fish in cycle.
Did you use Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability during your fish in cycle?

mattgirl
I am assuming you have done a fish in cycle? If so, did you use TTS?
I have always done fish in cycling and have never used a bottled bacteria. A cycle usually takes an average of 6 weeks when done from scratch with no boosters added.

There are folks here on the forum that have used it with great success though. There are others that have not had it work for them. That is why I said the instructions really need to be followed to a tee.

I just reread your first post. Were you adding Prime every day along with the Stability? Prime is first and foremost a water conditioner that has the added benefit of neutralizing low amounts of ammonia so only needs to be added during a water change or when doing a fish in cycle and one is registering low amounts of ammonia.

bettafish32
I have always done fish in cycling and have never used a bottled bacteria. A cycle usually takes an average of 6 weeks when done from scratch with no boosters added.

There are folks here on the forum that have used it with great success though. There are others that have not had it work for them. That is why I said the instructions really need to be followed to a tee.

So, you just put your fish in plain water without any conditioner, or bacteria starter?

Iverg1
No just accumilated put the fish in and feed him. Got cycled in a month. But that was just him and a snail (snail died though so that might have helped)

mattgirl
So, you just put your fish in plain water without any conditioner, or bacteria starter?
I used a water conditioner because I have chlorine in my tap water but no, I've never used any kind of bottled bacteria.

BTW: I added a bit more to my last post about the prime.

Kathryn Crook
Tbh? Ive plopped bettas in tap water in a vase with some aquarium rocks and no filter or air stone and it lived a very long time..(one of those fish in a plant vase ideas with a water loving plant).that's why they are practically sold like “goldfish”, BUT! I did have really good tap water and changed the water every day or so...no test kits, no chems.
All that being said, I'm sure he wasn't a happy betta and not nearly the beauties you see on this site.
Yes, the fish lived. Was he happy and healthy as possible? Probably not.
So, if your willing to go thru the work of cycling the tank, your betta will likely survive it and be happier for it!

Good luck and remember pics!

Iverg1
Lol sorry yes I added conditioner prime to be precise

Tbh? Ive plopped bettas in tap water in a vase with some aquarium rocks and no filter or air stone and it lived a very long time..(one of those fish in a plant vase ideas with a water loving plant).that's why they are practically sold like “goldfish”, BUT! I did have really good tap water and changed the water every day or so...no test kits, no chems.
All that being said, I'm sure he wasn't a happy betta and not nearly the beauties you see on this site.
So, if your willing to go thru the work of cycling the tank, your betta will likely survive it and be happier for it!

Most bettas do survive as they are very hardy fish.

Kathryn Crook
The cloudiness is a good start to your cycle. Ignore the PH for now.

bettafish32
I used a water conditioner because I have chlorine in my tap water but no, I've never used any kind of bottled bacteria.

BTW: I added a bit more to my last post about the prime.
I only added the prime when I set up the tank, after that was just the stability for the 7 recommended days, and the ammonia.

I can't wait to get a beautiful betta boy!

Charlie’s Dad
It sounds like your in the middle of cycling. I would continue doing what your doing. If water numbers are heading upward......water change. Other than that let the bacteria continue to grow at their pace.

I am virtually at the end of the cycle ........going to run numbers in a little while.

bettafish32
It sounds like your in the middle of cycling. I would continue doing what your doing. If water numbers are heading upward......water change. Other than that let the bacteria continue to grow at their pace.

I am virtually at the end of the cycle ........going to run numbers in a little while.
Wouldn't I be getting nitrite or nitrate numbers though? I have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate

Charlie’s Dad
Continue to feed your tank........and keep checking the numbers and all of the sudden you will have numbers. I know that is a bit redundant but I do not mean for it to be. Patience is the virtue here.

bettafish32
I am on day 13 of cycling. I am doing a fishless cycle, and am using pure ammonia. The last time I added any ammonia was on friday. I tested my water tonight, and this is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 42357847_1893368344083314_73864267736023040_o.jpg
    42357847_1893368344083314_73864267736023040_o.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 46

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Skyshadow3246
Replies