Using Sand with a Sump

BigBeardDaHuZi

Hi all!

I am currently trying to put together a big African Cichlid Tank. (58x24x30). The large tanks here all come piped and drilled with a sump. Which is excellent. But I want to use a soft sand substrate. Either argonite sand or a smooth black sand with a bag of crushed coral in the sump.
The wiers here are usually at the bottom of the tank, although some have a wier at the bottom and the top. Most of the systems here also drain at the bottom of the tank - instead of at the top. Which is excellent if you have a bare bottom tank and some big pooping fish. But not so great when you want a good substrate.

I have found one place that will make my tank to size - the wier is at the bottom, but the water still goes through an overflow at the top. There is no wier at the top - so it should have a pretty strong pull from the bottom.

My question is: Am I going to have sand getting sucked up through the intake? The locals here all say you can't use sand with a sump. Do any of you have this problem? What are the work arounds?

MrBryan723

I'm not sure I'm quite following some of this. What I do know is that the majority of tanks with sumps use sand substrate, since most tanks with sumps are supposedly for salt water.
If you're talking about sand In your sump, there are ways to do that too, using it as a filter, but maybe not having it in the same space as your return.
I don't figure sand in your main tank would make it into an overflow in normal or even most abnormal circumstances. Just rinse it well.

Upvote 0

BigBeardDaHuZi

I'm not sure I'm quite following some of this. What I do know is that the majority of tanks with sumps use sand substrate, since most tanks with sumps are supposedly for salt water.
If you're talking about sand In your sump, there are ways to do that too, using it as a filter, but maybe not having it in the same space as your return.
I don't figure sand in your main tank would make it into an overflow in normal or even most abnormal circumstances. Just rinse it well.
No, I haven't been quite able to follow the logic either. (Am an ex-pat, living in China. Sometimes, they really do things differently here) Somehow the sand is supposed to get sucked from the bottom weir all the way up to the overflow at the top of the tank. 30 inches up. And then go through all the layers of sponge and matting.

I have been strongly tempted to just assume they are mistaken and ignore the naysayers, but, I have to admit, I have a stubborn streak and can be pretty muley headed when I am wrong.

I am wondering if this has been an issue for anybody

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views