Using Salt With A Flying Fox

KarenW

I have read that the Flying Fox is a type of shark, so I hope I'm in the right place.
Can I use any amount of salt in the tank with a flying fox?

TexasDomer

Why do you want to use salt? Just asking because it may not be necessary, and there may be safer, alternative options

It is not scaleless or a catfish, so it should be safe in small doses.

KarenW

I have read that the Flying Fox is a type of shark, so I hope I'm in the right place.
Can I use any amount of salt in the tank with a flying fox?
Why do you want to use salt? Just asking because it may not be necessary, and there may be safer, alternative options

It is not scaleless or a catfish, so it should be safe in small doses.
Thanks. The reason is that one of the mollies has ich and I had read somewhere here that it could boost their immune system. I'm talking a small dose of 1 tsp for my 20 g. In addition, I have started raising my tank temp, increasing aeration, and doing 50% water changes every other day to thoroughly gravel vac. I will probably soak their food in garlic as well.
What do you think?

TexasDomer

Sounds good for treatment! Salt isn't necessary. It sounds like you have stocking issues with your 20 gal which may be affecting fish stress and encouraging issues like this. We can discuss it if you'd like!

KarenW

Sounds good for treatment! Salt isn't necessary. It sounds like you have stocking issues with your 20 gal which may be affecting fish stress and encouraging issues like this. We can discuss it if you'd like!
Yes, would like to discuss! However, first please re-visit my profile. I just updated my stock. Oops!

TexasDomer

The flying fox should be in a larger tank. I think the molly should be in a larger tank as well, as they get big and have a heavy bioload. You are overstocked with all of the fry in there (or you will be as they grow!).

KarenW

Yes, the flying fox will be going as soon as I get my green hair algae under control. The fish store has agreed to take it back when I'm done.
The molly is also temporary. My son had her in his 55 g. She is hugely pregnant and has been for a good month and a half. We thought she might have them quicker in my tank since it is heavily planted and his is basically bare. Plus, she was terrorizing his other two mollies and his cories.
I also have a 20 g for trying to grow another set of babies quickly to get them sold. I'm out of space and have no where else to rehome.

TexasDomer

You can control hair algae yourself Do flying foxes help significantly with that? Fish are a bandaid, they won't get rid of the underlying causes of algae. That is something you need to do.

KarenW

Agreed that alone, the algae eater is a bandaid, so I am learning to control it while the fox is helping. Side note: I went in asking for a Siamese algae eater, which eats BBA, which was my most urgent issue at the time. Turned out the LFS uses the term flying fox interchangeably with the Siamese algae eater. I have since learned differently. Sooo, I'm keeping it for a while to help with the green hair while I learn how to control it. I am seeing a decrease in the BBA doing it on my own, so I am really happy about that!

He is a very good eater, though!
I am really anxious to be done with having fry, but have a while to go.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views