Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Using Safestart And Quick Start Together

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Svraka, May 22, 2019.

1. Svraka Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I ordered a bottle of TSS+ over Amazon and I received it yesterday- today I'm tidying up my planted tank a bit and preparing to start a cycle using this guide:  

It seems like lots of people have had success with this method but I have some questions:

I didn't realize that the guide mentions buying two bottles of whichever to cycle the tank- in the event of an ammonia spike after you add one fish, you can add another dose/bottle to help.

I only have the one bottle, and it's expensive to ship TSS+ again to where I live, but there's a bottle of Api Quick Start that's on sale that I can receive very soon.
    Is there any issues that might show up using two different bottled bacteria?

I am aware of the dosing difference, and I'm only planning on dosing Quick Start to the tank if there is a spike, and with water changes/adding fish in the future.

I feel like that should be okay, right?

And one more thing, I'm doing a water change today and trimming plants, so I'm only adding enough Prime to declor the new water being added- and then waiting 24 hrs before adding the TSS+ and one endler tomorrow.

I'm curious about topping off my water though, my tank water evaporates a lot over the week.
    I'm planning on filling a bucket with Primed water and just using that to top off my tank during the cycle. I hope that's alright :/

Thanks for your replies :) this community has been so very helpful!

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

An issue with using both? No, but I honestly doubt you'll see any difference by adding the API version. TSS+ Is really the best booster IMO, but if you need an alternative I would suggest Seachem Stability

3. Svraka Valued Member Member

The TSS+ is there as the primary booster- the Quick Start is only in case of emergencys or adding fish. Just in case :)
    Thanks!

4. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Gotcha, sounds like a good plan:)
    Happy to help if you need any more!