Using rocks you find by streams?

1. t

thatreefguy22 Valued Member Member

Is there a possible way I could use rocks from local streams/rivers?

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes you can, just make sure they're thoroughly sterilised before use, boiling water will kill any nasties & give them a good scrub but not with soap.
    Avoid any rocks or stones that have veins in them as they may contain heavy metals or copper, also avoid limestone & sandstone as they could mess with your ph

3. OP
    OP
    t

I just picked this up...that different types of rocks do matter!
    Now it's time to learn which type of rocks I'm looking at if I'm gonna be picking them from out doors.

I do wanna stick with ONE type of rock to scape with. What would you suggest?
    I might add live plants down the road.
    I would just like to get a good looking aqua scape before planting :)

4. Coradee

Large rounded river pebbles give a soft natural look, but I've seen some stunning iwagumi tanks with more angular rocks so really it's whatever look you're going for & of course what rocks you can find

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Slate would be nice.

6. OP
    OP
    t

I agree!

7. Coradee

If you go with slate then sand down any sharp edges so your fish don't hurt themselves on it

8. OP
    OP
    t

Would I have to boil any rock I get from outside?

9. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

To be perfectly safe, Yes!
    Always boil anything you can from outside! It can have nasty bacteria or some sort of critters living in some cracks.

10. L

Linwood Valued Member Member

Be careful with dark slates. A few can have enough oil in them to leave a slick. Put them in a bucket for a day or two and make sure no slick forms.

If unsure about the limestone (etc) type take (carefully) a little bottle of muritic acid (any hardware store). A couple drops on any rock will either foam like mad (don't use that one), or not, depending on whether it is carbonate based. Vinegar will also work and is much less dangerous but some rocks don't react strongly enough with vinegar to tell. Muritic acid is dangerous, burns skin badly, so if you use it be careful, but it's pretty much a foolproof test.