Using RO water in non planted tank.

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

HI everyone, so here’s the jam my house has a water softener system connected to my whole home and an RO system
So I am trying to figure out how I can reminalize my RO water. It’s a 5 gallon tank for a betta I know Seachem has a few products they sell just confused on which I need, I know am going to have to buffer my ph but which products should I be using Equilibrium or Replenish and is there anything else I need? Oh btw it’s a non planted tank.

Thank you

Heron

I use equilibrium to raise the GH of the soft water I have but this does not increase the KH which is needed for a stable pH so I also use nt labs KH up.
I am not familiar with replenish but I looked up and it also seems to be just GH raising. You can use simple sodium bicarbonate to raise KH but I can't advise how much to add, you will have to experiment. If you aI'm for a KH of 4-5 you shouldn't have any pH issue.

Chanyi

30ppm Ca - Use CaSO4
10ppm Mg - Use MgSO4
0.5 - 1.0 degrees of kH - Use K2CO3 or KHCO3

Everything is available for cheap on green leaf or amazon. Use Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator to determine how much to dissolve. Punch in your water change volume, punch in your desired level, punch in the compound you are using, and it will spit you out a number. Easy as can be.

0.5 - 1.0 degrees of kH is all that's needed to keep the pH steady.

Only thing is to ensure you are dosing the same amount into your water change water to ensure consistency.

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

I use equilibrium to raise the GH of the soft water I have but this does not increase the KH which is needed for a stable pH so I also use nt labs KH up.
I am not familiar with replenish but I looked up and it also seems to be just GH raising. You can use simple sodium bicarbonate to raise KH but I can't advise how much to add, you will have to experiment. If you aI'm for a KH of 4-5 you shouldn't have any pH issue.
Thank you

30ppm Ca - Use CaSO4
10ppm Mg - Use MgSO4

Everything is available for cheap on green leaf or amazon. Use Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator to determine how much to dissolve. Punch in your water change volume, punch in your desired level, punch in the compound you are using, and it will spit you out a number. Easy as can be.

Only thing is to ensure you are dosing the same amount into your water change water to ensure consistency.
Thank you for the link

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

30ppm Ca - Use CaSO4
10ppm Mg - Use MgSO4

1 question I have is am on green leaf but for the life of me can’t find k2CO3 or KHCO3 all I see is KNO3 K2SO4 and KH2PO4 which one should I use? Also saw they sell a the ultimate gh booster as well.

Chanyi

1 question I have is am on green leaf but for the life of me can’t find k2CO3 or KHCO3 all I see is KNO3 K2SO4 and KH2PO4 which one should I use? Also saw they sell a the ultimate gh booster as well.

Way too much potassium in their (and most) pre-mixed gH boosters, and they offer no control over the ratio of Ca:Mg.

Check amazon for potassium carbonate / bi-carbonate. I guess GLA doesn't have it for some reason... KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 are macro fertilizers not gH or kH boosters.

kH = Carbonates (CO3)
gH = Ca and Mg

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

Way too much potassium in their (and most) pre-mixed gH boosters, and they offer no control over the ratio of Ca:Mg.

Check amazon for potassium carbonate / bi-carbonate. I guess GLA doesn't have it for some reason... KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 are macro fertilizers not gH or kH boosters.

kH = Carbonates (CO3)
gH = Ca and Mg
Ty I figured but wanted to make sure any bands I should stick to, as far is amazon is concerned?

Chanyi

Ty I figured but wanted to make sure any bands I should stick to, as far is amazon is concerned?
This one looks pretty good for a little over $10:

What country are you in? That will help with determining which amazon website to search in....

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

This one looks pretty good for a little over $10:

What country are you in? That will help with determining which amazon website to search in....
Oh am in the us fl thank you for all ur help.

Daddysdaughterhasabetta

Ok so now that I got all the supplies I need let’s make so water wait.... what are ideal dGH and kh I read on one website
GH: 3-4 dGH (50-66.7 ppm)
KH: 3-5 dKH (53.6- 89.4 ppm)
But then on others I read anywhere for gh 5-20 I’m so confused and just want my little girl to be happy with her betta. Please help.

Chanyi

30 ppm Ca
5-10 ppm Mg

= gH around 7-8

kH 1.0 degrees is plenty to keep pH stable in the low 7's.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
inari
Replies
Views