Using Rainwater In Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by kayla.s, May 24, 2018.

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Just out of curiosity, what would adding a bucket or two of rainwater do to your tank? Just watching the rain now and looking at my tank and the thought crossed my mind :)

2. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-Waterinos Valued Member Member

Probably reduce the PH of the tank cause rain water is very low in PH due to the amount of dissolved Co2 in it. Depending on where you live you probably need to clean it somehow to remove city pollutants form it.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Well I live on a wine farm, there are busy roads and what not close by but I feel it wouldn't be too bad... though I might just stick to using leaves to lower pH, just to be safe :D @Neutral-Waterinos thanks!

4. Neutral-Waterinos

Neutral-Waterinos Valued Member Member

Oh Crikey, I didn’t realise your from South Africa mate, yeah it should be totally fine then. Wow a wine farm huh? I mean you could definitely try it I just reccomend cleaning it somehow. Man you must have a lot of good aquarium fish you can gather there too
    : P kinda jealous

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

We only had rain water when i was i kid and used it for our tanks without any problems.

My granparents still only has rain and bore water. I hate the taste of treated city watet.

6. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe rainwater has low total dissolved solids (tds), almost like RO water.

Luckily, I live in NYC. Our water is considered the Champagne of tapwater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice