Using PhosBan to lower Phosphates?

sgould

Well Known
Short version of my problem is...local water company adds phosphates to the water supply. As a result, I am considering some sort of phosphate reducing filter media. Does anyone have any experience/comments on these products? The one I am looking at is PhosBan, though I am open to others.

Advertisement
Though I haven't use it myself, I've heard good things about this product. PhosBan through a PhosBan Reactor should be the way to go. Have you tested your water, if so what was the result ?

Advertisement
No tests yet. They add phosphates here because a lot of the city pipes have lead in them, which leaches into the water. They add the phosphate which supposedly coats the insides of the pipes and forms a barrier between the drinking water and the lead, so that it does not get into the drinking water. It has made it an interesting balancing act to keep algae under control in my tanks...does not take much overfeeding at all to get a big old brown algae outbreak going. At any rate, I have read that low phosphates are important for the formation of corraline algae, so I decided to start looking into this.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AZL
Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
Dolfan
Replies
Views