Using Other Media For New Aquarium

ohdee
HI again,

I recently got a new aquarium and I know you can speed up the cycle by using cycled media from other aquariums. I just put a sponge from a sponge filter in my older tank and was wondering how long it would take to have some bacteria grow on it or this would even work?

Merry Christmas by the way!

Advertisement
mattgirl
If you are taking the sponge from a cycled tank it should already have the bacteria growing on it. What size tank and how many fish are in the tank you are getting the seeded sponge from and how big is the tank you are trying to cycle with the seeded sponge?

ohdee
It’s not from a cycled aquarium it hasn’t been used in a while, and 10 gal to 38 gallon I’m going to use the sponge and the hang on back filter from the old 10 gal for the 38 gal.

Gourami36
If you use a hob from the 10 g there won’t be enough flow for the 38 g. You need around 380 gph for a hob filter. You can use the same media though

ohdee
I'm using the hob filter from 10 gal in addition with the filter that came with the 38 gal.

mattgirl
It’s not from a cycled aquarium it hasn’t been used in a while, and 10 gal to 38 gallon I’m going to use the sponge and the hang on back filter from the old 10 gal for the 38 gal.
Oh ok. I guess I misunderstood. If its not been used for a while you may just be starting from scratch and it will take a few weeks for the bacteria to grow.

Advertisement
Gourami36
I'm using the hob filter from 10 gal in addition with the filter that came with the 38 gal.
Oh ok. That’s enough filtration.

ohdee
Yeah sorry I should’ve explained it better.

Oh ok. I guess I misunderstood. If its not been used for a while you may just be starting from scratch and it will take a few weeks for the bacteria to grow.

Would there be enough bacteria on the hob filter?

mattgirl
Would there be enough bacteria on the hob filter?
Only if it has been running on a cycled tank.

a few months ago I had to set up a 10 gallon grow out tank for some molly fry. I always run 2 dual sponge filter in my big tank. I removed one sponge from each filter and used them to cycle the 10 gallon tank. There was enough bacteria on the 2 sponges to instantly cycle that 10 gallon tank.

If neither the sponge nor the HOB filter have been actively running on a cycled tank I don't think there will be enough bacteria on either of them to help seed your new tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Celestialgirl
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
bitseriously
  • Question
Replies