Using old filter again

1. gothbrooks Initiate Member

Hey folks hope all is well. I recently moved and my tank has two filters 1 air filter and one canister filter. I have reinstalled the canister filter but the air filter I drained all the water out of and let it dry out. It's been about 2 weeks can I just use this filter again or do you suggest buying all New Media which I would rather not do. For a bit more information the media in question is Fluval ceramic media. I do plan on replacing all mechanical filtration. Please let me know what you guys think and thank you very much.

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Since it has been 2 weeks the beneficial bacteria is dead anyway. If it were me, I would wash the ceramic discs real good and reuse it. That part should be fine IMO. If you use filter floss or any type of padding to catch debris, I would definitely replace that stuff.

3. gothbrooks Initiate Member

Hi and thank you so much for your reply. This was generally my plan especially with the filter floss. Do you have a suggestion as to how to wash the ceramic disc. Thanks once again and I'm excited to get this tank fully up and running again

4. Beretta Initiate Member

The bio media will be fine. Replacing the mechanical media is all that you need to do.

5. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Well, your beneficial bacteria is dead, so I would soak them in hot tap water just to get all of the guuk out. After that, always use old tank water...always.

6. gothbrooks Initiate Member

Will do thanks again