Using non-fish tank stands as fish tank stands?

Masspanic

I've always had my little tank on my dresser (I'd estimate the 10 gal is 85 lbs?) but I'm wondering if a long dresser is stable enough/can hold enough weight for like 29 gallons? I know it depends on the dresser and I'd need one with solid wood but I'm not sure how to judge if it can take the weight or not considering that's a lot of weight.
So: do any of y'all have experience with using dressers or whatever else as fish tank stands? Pictures appreciated. If not, where's some cheap places to get a stand? (I know to check ebay)

**don't know if this thread belongs here or not but seemed appropriate enough

BigManAquatics

I have 2 narrow dressers i used for my 10 gals til i built a rack. I would check thrift shops or garage sales, can get some pretty solid furniture pretty cheap sometimes.

Upvote 0

kansas

It needs to be strong enough but it also needs to be level. If it's not flat, eventually you'll spring a leak.

At least that's what happened to me. Maybe cut a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to fit the shape of the tank and then put a leveling mat on top of that.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I had a 40 gallon tank on my desk for over a year, and my daughter-in-law has a 55 on a sideboard. There's nothing wrong with using furniture as tank stands as long as they're constructed to support the weight and sized appropriately. The top of the furniture should be larger than the tank in both directions so the tank doesn't hang off, but ideally it should only be slightly larger so there isn't too much pressure on the center of the furniture (away from the supports).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Tabbycat724
Replies
Views
sairving