Using natural rocks?

1. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I have some random stones collected from river shores and such. These were all collected at least 5 years ago or more. I used to collect random rocks as a child. Is there a way I should prepare them before using? Should I use them at all? None of it is porous or brittle, all solid stone rocks.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Some may increase the pH/GH/KH of the water. You can test for that by pouring vinegar on the rocks - if it fizzes, it'll change your water chemistry. That's not necessarily a bad thing though!

I'd rinse them in hot water and give them a quick scrub (no soap!) before putting them in.

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the handy tip. I don't know my GH/KH but my pH is 7.4-7.6

4. Daniel W Member Member

I would sand them to make sure they are smooth and wouldn't hurt any of your fishs' fins.

5. Nicoldeme Member Member

Whenever I put something into my tank, I pretty much boil it. Unless it's alive (Those things just get quarantine!) I soak it in water too hot to touch without getting burned. I don't have an exact measurement, but it's over 110F at least, so probably boiling point.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Water boils at 212 F.

Boiling most things isn't necessary. With wood, it can cause it to rot faster. With rocks, it's not necessary. If you're worried about disease, wash in a small percentage of bleach water and then rinse with Prime water.

7. Zed Initiate Member

Definitely soak them in warm/hot water and leave them for a few hours, they should release any dirt trapped in the pores of the stones, dump the water and add clean water again, repeat until the water stays clear.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Vinigar-test is the most important

9. s hawk Well Known Member Member

I would suggest to search for this on YouTube. There are some very good videos on this. Mine both times got disenfected with vinegar (and vinegar water mix). Then they were rinsed off with treated water, and let dry for at least 24 hours. They were in an columanus infected tank and haven't yet had a problem (been around 3 to 4 months or so)

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

The three below look a bit like calcite to me. Pretty sure the other are safe.

11. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the input! Made sure they were smooth, did the vinegar test and none of them fizzled even a little bit. Soaked them in hot water for a while.

What's unsafe about the calcite ones?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not that they're unsafe, but they can increase your KH, GH, and pH. If they didn't fizz, I wouldn't worry about them though.

13. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

None of em fizzled at all :3 shall I add them in then?

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Yep

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Alright! They're in now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is gorgeous...

17. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks haha! I've had it for about a month now I think. Constantly making changes. I've been taking pictures as I make changes so hopefully I'll have an interesting gallery by the 1 year mark (which is when I will post said gallery on this site hehe)

18. Dayna Ann Member Member

Beautiful tank!

And good info about adding natural rocks!

Hope I catch the one year photo album you share. Best of luck.