Using My Gf's Cotton Face Pads For Filtration

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Vancouver Mike, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Vancouver Mike Valued Member Member

Had to take the carbon out of the pouch on the left side and needed something to out back in the pouch so I put a new foam dish scrubber and about 10 flat cotton face pads! On the right side I've got cotton/rayon balls.
    Both sides also have the coarse pad after each pouch( it should really be the other way around but it doesn't fit)
    Then I have some Fluval bio rocks in the Center and the right side
    Plus I recently put a pre filter on the uptake tube and dang it if it don't collect a ton of junk taking some of the load off of the mechanical filtering.
    Anyone else ever use these round cotton face wipes?
    What have you done to hotrod your filtration?

2. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

Never tried that. In the old days (60's and 70's) we used fiberglass floss. Cotton will clog very fast (it swells a little in water) so keep an eye on that. I use a synthetic blend polyfill (batting for making quilts and blankets) if I need denser temporary fiber filtration.

3. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

I use the face pads to put under my air pump so it doesn't rattle
    I don't like the way my face pads seem to fall apart in too much water

4. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

I'm just curious the brand of face pads, the ones my siblings get contain things like aloe among other fragrances and chemocals (which could be a myriad of anything)

5. Vancouver Mike Valued Member Member

It's a London drugs brand I believe (Canadian drug store chain that carries pretty everything except produce) and I checked to make sure there was only cotton ,however I'm going to change it up to what most people use which is the cotton batting. The pads are to small and I think ill get better use from the batting :)

6. Morpheus1967 Well Known Member Member

Dosen't cotton break down pretty fast when submerged in water constantly?

7. Vancouver Mike Valued Member Member

It's inside of the cartridge pouch that the carbon came in but to answer ur question no cotton is widely used for filtration in the hobby :)

8. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I get this in a bag from Walmart it’s in a sheet form not clumps so u can just cut the use sheet you need