Using Mineralized Top Soil, Do I Need To Dechlorinate The Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Rack, May 3, 2019.

1. Rack

RackValued MemberMember

I've been trying to use the Mineralized top soil method by Aaron Talbot. I'm about to finish the process, but I was wondering if I should have used a water conditioner to dechlorinate the water because the soaking/drying cycle is for the bacteria in the soil to help them break down organic material and I'm afraid the Chlorine killed the bacteria.

2. Triston Wasmund

Triston WasmundWell Known MemberMember

Yes, chlorine is known to kill the good bacteria in a fish tank. Hence to why experienced fish keepers always say to rinse off your carbon pad in fish tank water and not water from the sink, as the chlorine will kill the bacteria. Not sure as to what you are doing, but just answering your question.

3. OP
    OP
    Rack

RackValued MemberMember

I am not talking about the water in my fish tank, but the water used to mineralized the top soil substrate, here's the link to clear things up. Anyway, I didn't know Activated carbon removes Chlorine in water, because I have some in my filter but I always dose one of those water conditioners liquids. Does this mean I won't need to use my water conditioner and just pour water from my sink in the tank?

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I would dechlorinate the water you use to mineralize going forward, at least with a cheap conditioner. Although a little chlorine won't kill the bacteria that badly, at least it makes a comeback. Chlorine evaporates in 24 hours, if your manicipality uses chloramine, that would release the ammonia as the chlorine evaporates, but ammonia only provides more food for BB. The bond of ammonia and chlorine in chloramine might take longer for the chlorine to dissipate, but I think it'll be ok.

5. OP
    OP
    Rack

RackValued MemberMember

So I don't need to repeat the whole thing? The process is soaking the water for 2 days, change water, soak for another 2 days then drying.

6. Triston Wasmund

Triston WasmundWell Known MemberMember

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. Carbon DOES NOT remove chlorine. I was saying chlorine removes the bacteria built up on the carbon pad. And yes, chlorine usually dissipates within 24 hours