Using lava rock as substrate?

Dano83

Hi,

I've been thinking about using black lava 3/4'' big as substrate and was just wondering would this be ok?
I have a 20 gallon long and will be stocking it with zebra danios and a few ghost shirmp

nathanman

Dano83 said:
Hi,

I've been thinking about using black lava 3/4'' big as substrate and was just wondering would this be ok?
I have a 20 gallon long and will be stocking it with zebra danios and a few ghost shirmp
you could, but it would look very ugly. you might want to try pebbles or gravel as they are much prettier and are easier to gravel vac

DoubleDutch

nathanman said:
you could, but it would look very ugly. you might want to try pebbles or gravel as they are much prettier and are easier to gravel vac
That is quite subjective I'd.say.
What one sees as ugly the other sees as awesome.

Only thing it isn't very suitable for botromdwellers.

Mudminnow

In addition to not being good with many bottom dwellers, bigger gravel like that can be a bit harder to clean. But, if your plan is to just keep zebra danios and ghost shrimp, it would be fine.

One possible benefit of the larger gravel is that it could keep the eggs safe from the parents if they choose to breed.

Aprilbeingbasic

its a bit bulky and can see there being some problems for your bottom dwellers. Maybe do a mix? of some kind of smaller pebbels or black sand. It would look more natural with all the different sizes down the bottom.

hpt84

Should be fine with ghost shrimp and danio. Im assuming you arent doing any real plants?

RelaxingBettas

Dano83 said:
Hi,

I bought a bag of slightly bigger ones and couldn't find a way to make them work for me intact, but they bust up beautifully for coarse sand. I have been building height for more expensive substrate (contained) and biological filtration, I can bust them into smaller pieces for mechanical filters, and am considering building moss walls etc, at a future date. They're useful, I just didn't groove on the appearance as they came- but once I got a pick and started busting up ohko stone, I stopped being afraid to master my lava rocks and make them suit MY needs, lol. Be bold! Good luck!

K5MOW

One very good thing about lava rock is that it is a great breeding ground for the beneficial bacteria that helps break down nitrate.

Roger

86 ssinit

K5MOW said:
One very good thing about lava rock is that it is a great breeding ground for the beneficial bacteria that helps break down nitrate.

Roger
Yes with a lava stone substrate I can’t imagine youd have any nitrate! Once it established itself. I break up lava stones when starting a new tank and add them to the substrate for this reason.

RelaxingBettas

Tsutey said:
(That's a test patch over Stratum with a photobombing hangry badis, lol, if anyone is curious how it looks busted up.)

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom