Using Kalk Question

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Okay peeps I need some input again. I have no sump with this nano (for now). I want to use Kalk in my system. I do not have a top off system in place and I am not sure I ever will because they worry me a bit (just a me thang) Here is my question. Starting out if I cut my dose down to 1 tsp. per 5 gallons of RO water and used this as top off water would it be okay? The normal dosage is 2 tsp. per 5 gallons of water that you are mixing. I had to manually put in some top off RO water this morning and it was probably maybe 4 cups or so lets say. If I had used my pre disolved Kalk RO water for that top off would it have been okay? The Kalk I will be using is Kent powder mix. I know that Kalk can be awesome as a supplement when used correctly but I have never used it. I may later on figure out a way to have a sump with this system and then dose the Kalk that way but until then I am just making sure my plan would be okay.

Let me know what you guys think please.

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I do not use it but my dad does and what does is he has a 5 gallon jug that he adds 2 1/2 tsp to 5 gallons of RO/DI water and shakes the living daylights out of it than puts a air stone on low setting and let's it run for 24 hours before using it for dosing but he always test before dosing.

3. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

I would suggest only once per week at a low dose or other wise it will cause PH to raise to high and may be devestating. As for topping off is to keep the salinity at a constant level with an R/O water only is my suggestion. I dose my tank with kalkwasser at a drip method into the sump being that you do not have one as of yet dose with a syringe at about 2-3 ml per 30- 1 hour at a time I drip about 1/4 gallon at a time at a low dose and takes about 6 hours to do about 3-4 cups pre mixed.

4. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will use this method of syringe once a week. I have mixed up 5 gallons and it has sat now for about 5 - 6 hours. I could start dosing today slowly and see how it goes.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Question: Why do you want to dose Kalk?

Kalk is typically used to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity. Unless you're keeping high-demand corals (typically acros and hard corals) that need the calcium, you should find that calcium and alkalinity are kept in check with regular water changes.

I appreciate that kalk can also help precipitate phosphate from the water too.

I don't use kalk on my reef. I don't need to as my salt-mix has enough calcium/alk in it. My only word of caution with kalk is about pH. It is very high pH (around 12), and needs to be dosed very carefully to prevent pH shock to live stock (hence why most use reactors to dose or a drip)

Too, as your tank is still quite young (under a month), I would avoid dosing anything until the tank establishes, and you understand the nutrient needs of the system.