Using Ich Medicine On Goldfish Tank

Youngboy15

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 40 gallon with two fancys. im running a aquaclear 70 the tank is cycled with no ammonia or nitrite. its been running with fish in it for 1 week. One of my old orandas had ich and he passed away but he kinda infested the tank water i did a immediate water change. my new oranda and fantail have a small amount of ich. i currently have the tank temp at 86 and i am treating with salt. i dont want to keep them stressed in warm water so i have decided to go with medicine. my local store has Super ICH by API. if i add this to my tank will it kill bacteria and will it mix with the current salt? thanks please i need help i am scared to lose any other fish. my old fish was in poor condition when i got him with ich and he was just a unlucky one form the bunch just poor genetics in general.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
this is the only info i could find on it.

supposedly deadly with salt. it is basically a last ditch effort med. you need extra aeration as it depletes oxygen.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/api-super-ich-cure.379937/
"The main ingredients in "formagreen" mixtures are formalin (thats a nice trade name for formaldehyde, the stuff they use to embalm and preserve dead people) and malachite green (a dye that's been shown to cause cancer in some laboratory cases). It's a harsh med and the theory behind it is you kill the parasite before you damage the fish."

goldfish are temperate fish, and will do fine in 86'F for a few weeks with the salt treatment.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/
Cons/Side Effects – Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. Therefore, precautions must be taken when using it. Preventing your skin from coming in contact with it by wearing waterproof gloves and not breathing in any fumes by wearing a face mask is highly recommended. Formalin also can be harsh on the fish’s gills and will quickly deplete oxygen from the water. DO NOT USE if a fish has open wounds. There is anecdotal evidence (but never scientifically proven) that some fish exposed to formalin don’t live past 18-24 months. In some areas, the purchase of formalin is prohibited.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'd be better off just using heat and salt. Goldfish are fine for a couple weeks at that temperature. I believe @Skavatar answered these questions in your previous post. Id you didn't cycle your tank before putting your fish in the tank and they've been in there a couple weeks, you should probably recheck your ammonia and nitrites again. They will go up and you'll need to be checking them and doing big water changes until your tank cycles. If you need help with doing that with fish in the tank, let us know.
* oh, you did cycle. Great! Disregard that part!

OP
Y

Youngboy15

Reaction score
Hey the ingredients are 1.3 mg Benzaldehyde Green and 1% PVP. i currently have salt in the squatium that was added 2 days ago. Can i just dose without worrying about salt?

You'd be better off just using heat and salt. Goldfish are fine for a couple weeks at that temperature. I believe @Skavatar answered these questions in your previous post. Id you didn't cycle your tank before putting your fish in the tank and they've been in there a couple weeks, you should probably recheck your ammonia and nitrites again. They will go up and you'll need to be checking them and doing big water changes until your tank cycles. If you need help with doing that with fish in the tank, let us know.
I think im just gonna go ahead and add some Super Ich from API. My question is will it mix with the aquarium salt that i added 2 days ago? I have it next to me just dont want to cause some toxic mixture

This is the spot i fear is ich, my old oranda had multiple spots on fins

Attachments

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
doesn't really look like ich

you better read up on it before using it, it can be deadly to your fish.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/969521-api-super-ich-cure-benzaldehyde-green-bad-fish.html
"benzaldehyde green is a synonym for malachite green"

"The user "dreday", says "I just pulled up the MSDS for super ich cure, it contains salt, nitrofurazone, silica, and malachite green. Salt is 95% of the compound. So in my opinion not the best product to buy to treat ich when you can buy straight salt much cheaper. Nitro is for secondary bacterial infection, which is good but it is a tiny amount. Malachite green is usually used when treating ich, but its primary purpose is to treat fungus.""

OP
Y

Youngboy15

Reaction score
doesn't really look like ich

you better read up on it before using it, it can be deadly to your fish.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/969521-api-super-ich-cure-benzaldehyde-green-bad-fish.html
"benzaldehyde green is a synonym for malachite green"

"The user "dreday", says "I just pulled up the MSDS for super ich cure, it contains salt, nitrofurazone, silica, and malachite green. Salt is 95% of the compound. So in my opinion not the best product to buy to treat ich when you can buy straight salt much cheaper. Nitro is for secondary bacterial infection, which is good but it is a tiny amount. Malachite green is usually used when treating ich, but its primary purpose is to treat fungus.""
So should i just stick to warm water and salt? Im just scared because my old oranda came with clamped fins and ich. I just fear its still in the tank and dont want it to attack anytime soon

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think im just gonna go ahead and add some Super Ich from API. My question is will it mix with the aquarium salt that i added 2 days ago? I have it next to me just dont want to cause some toxic mixture
Since it can be used in salt water aquariums, it's probably safe to use in a FW tank with salt. Do a 75% water change first, remove all carbon from your filters and read and follow the directions on the product carefully. Good luck. Beautiful fish!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the ich life cycle can last between 2-3 weeks. warmer temps speeds up the life cycle. you'll need to treat with salt for atleast 2 weeks.

OP
Y

Youngboy15

Reaction score
Since it can be used in salt water aquariums, it's probably safe to use in a FW tank with salt. Do a 75% water change first, remove all carbon from your filters and read and follow the directions on the product carefully. Good luck. Beautiful fish!
Thank u for ur help but i am decided to go with salt and warm water for a week or so. I feel like ich medicine should be used if my goldies were at the edge like white spots everywhere and suffering. They seen ok and its only one spot i know it can grow but thats why im treating with salt. Thank you!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank u for ur help but i am decided to go with salt and warm water for a week or so. I feel like ich medicine should be used if my goldies were at the edge like white spots everywhere and suffering. They seen ok and its only one spot i know it can grow but thats why im treating with salt. Thank you!
You're welcome. And good choice! Make sure and do 50% or more weekly water changes without fail. Clean water is essential for healthy fish and big water changes help get rid of any of the ich parasites suspended in the water --part of the Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ick) life cycle is spent floating in water.

OP
Y

Youngboy15

Reaction score
You're welcome. And good choice! Make sure and do 50% or more weekly water changes without fail. Clean water is essential for healthy fish and big water changes help get rid of any of the ich parasites suspended in the water --part of the Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ick) life cycle is spent floating in water.
One more thing! Does this pink skin on my goldie look like any flukes or disease/parasite??

Attachments

OP
Y

Youngboy15

Reaction score
Is this pink skin new? Is it on both sides?
It may be an indication of a bacterial infection.
Only on one side! I got him like that aswell. Do i treat this? Plz help im stressing out over the ich case and now this. I think i should treat it but how

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a 40 gallon with two fancys. im running a aquaclear 70 the tank is cycled with no ammonia or nitrite. its been running with fish in it for 1 week. One of my old orandas had ich and he passed away but he kinda infested the tank water i did a immediate water change. my new oranda and fantail have a small amount of ich. i currently have the tank temp at 86 and i am treating with salt. i dont want to keep them stressed in warm water so i have decided to go with medicine. my local store has Super ICH by API. if i add this to my tank will it kill bacteria and will it mix with the current salt? thanks please i need help i am scared to lose any other fish. my old fish was in poor condition when i got him with ich and he was just a unlucky one form the bunch just poor genetics in general.
You could put the fish in a cooler tank if you have one or you could buy a travle tank and keep them there until this is fixed.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 66.7%

Top Bottom