Using HCL to test rocks Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Dean, Apr 5, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

I'm going to use HCL (Hydrochloric acid) to test if my gravel is safe. Should I test the gravel with full strength HCL or should I dilute it? Thanks.

p.s. I have a science teacher helping me with this so I don't hurt myself...

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most gravel purchased at the store is inert any way but any rocks you gather from streams or rivers should be tested.
    It's much safer to test with vinegar. If it bubbles it's only safe to use in tanks needing a high pH.
    What ever you test with make sure you rinse what you test very thoroughly.
    Carol

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no need to test gravel from a pet store as carol suggested....the residue would scare me for sure

4. OP
    OP
    D

it's mined from the Rocky Mountains by a friend who pans for gold. I've read that vinegar isn't strong enough of an acid to test rocks but I did the vinegar test and it didn't bubble. I just wanted to make sure it's ok.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I just use one of the API Master Test Kit liquids...was it ammonia #2? I forgot. It contains HCL.

6. OP
    OP
    D

In read an article that said to use 1M HCL solution to test is a rock is safe. Can anybody confirm that?

7. OP
    OP
    D

I used a slightly diluted 12M HCL solution and no bubbles. I will be getting a 1M HCL solution for future testing so I don't need to test rocks in a science lab. Thanks everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice