Using Garden Hose

Cody

Hello All,

I have been considering using an arc grade water hose for filling my tanks. Right now I have a setup that I have a power head/fountain pump in a 5 gallon pail that I use to pump the water into the tank. I have a 24in tall tank so the top of the tank is about 5ft off the ground give or tank. So this beat having to lift full pails and try to slowly dump them not to disturb the water.

I would prefer to just use a hose and eliminate the back and forth. My only questions is how you approach purging the hose each time? They way things are situated, I would need a 50ft hose or a 25 and another 10-15ft extension(I estimate 35) would be the perfect length) but it’s cheaper to buy on 50 then to get 2 shorter hoses generally.

Either way my concern is that I would need to get the residual water out of the hose each time after filling. But I know this can be a pain and I live in Wisconsin, so for a lot of the year I would need to do this inside to avoid creating ice around my yard.

Just curious if this is over thinking or what you all do that use a setup like this?

Ps. I have tried a Python in the past and it works great for filling but my water pressure just doesn’t cut it and it takes a very long time to do water changes with one.

Dennis57

Where were you hooking up your Python? Kitchen Faucet? Try using the garden hose spigot you get a lot more water pressure from there.

jtjgg

how far is the nearest sink/tub from the tank?

you can buy another section of 50' garden hose. both my front yard and back yard has two 50' garden hoses.

Cody

My issue is not with proximity.

I guess it’s more simple then my explanation. I know a 50ft hose will get the job done. But when I’m done filling I know there will be residual water in the hose, which I assume will get funky and maybe grow some undesirable bacteria if it’s not purged each time. Do those who use a hose to fill so this? Or if am over thinking.

I live in a cold climate so I will create ice in my yard doing this. Which I have children and pets that I will need to be careful of creating a dangerous Ice patch. I could do this inside to a drain but with a 50ft hose I see that less then ideal then stretching it out in the backyard in warmer months.

But again I could be overthinking?

jtjgg

i asked how far the nearest sink is, b/c you can purge the garden hose in the sink/tub.

i fill my tanks with the garden hose.

2 reasons to purge.

contaminates sitting in the hose.

in the summer the water in the hose and the water line will get heated up and usually is scalding hot. in the winter the water is usually very cold, especially up north.

i usually let the water run for 2-3 minutes.

Cody

i asked how far the nearest sink is, b/c you can purge the garden hose in the sink/tub.

i fill my tanks with the garden hose.

2 reasons to purge.

contaminates sitting in the hose.

in the summer the water in the hose and the water line will get heated up and usually is scalding hot. in the winter the water is usually very cold, especially up north.

i usually let the water run for 2-3 minutes.

Ahh I get it now. It occurred to me as I was thinking about this post today that I could just flush it out as you describe prior to filling the tank.

I would us an adapter and just attach directly to the sink. I totally relate to the varying water temperatures. I have never checked it but our cold water is significantly cooler in the winter as well. So the “sweet spot” I need to have the faucet adjusted always varies throughout the year when Im trying to temp match the fresh water.

CHJ

The way I do it is with a garden hose attached to a large pond pump. I drop the pump in a tank and put the end of the hose in the basement wash sink. Plug it in and drain the tank down.
Then I take the pump and drop it in my 55 gallon trash can full of Prime water and clamp the hose pointing into the tank and fill the tank back up.
This allows for fast water changes. Then we set a timer and watch Netflix while the trash can fills back up from the tap.
Depending on your water quality and well vs city, you may also want to go the trash can + prime/safe method. Wells can change and sometimes the city changes from chlorine to chloramine and kills all your discus breeding pairs :mad: Upping the water change rate just kills your discus faster when this happens.
My city water also has recently changed from 25ppm to 300+ PPM.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jtjgg
10 Gallon Tank Air pump hose sizing
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Islandvic