Using gang valves

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Jrobber, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

If I have a 2-way gang valve, do I need to use a check valve with my airline tubing also?

If so, do I put the check valve before the gang valve?

Thanks

2. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Yes, it is always best to use a check value... just in case. Put it before the air pump and then up to the gang value.

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

You mean between the air pump and gang valve?

4. Cichlidude

yes.

5. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it is wise to use a check valve. You will be better off putting a check valve on each line exiting the gang valve. Between the gang valve & the tank. I found out the hard way that not all gang vlaves are water tight. During a blackout I ended up with a flooded cabinet because heaps of water flowed out of the gang valve when the check valve was between the airpump & the gang valve.

7. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

May I ask what brand valve you have? I bought a Penn Plax. Plus, I only bought one check valve, but I want to make sure that my pump will be protected because it will not be above my tank.

8. Cichlidude

All you need is one check valve at the pump period. Any check valve will do.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. Nutter

I'm sorry that you seem to be upset by my response Cichlidude but I'm not the only person I know that has had the flood happen froma gang valve. If you just want to run one check valve between the air pump & gang valve that's your choice.

My gang valves are the green Pen-Plax ones Jrobber. :)

10. Cichlidude

I'm sorry, but the check valve is just in case water back siphons to damage the pump. I see that you are assuming that the gang valve is defective itself therefore having one check valve per output. I've never had that... but I guess some have.

11. Nutter

I'm not half as concerned about water going back to the airpump as I am having all the stuff in my cabinet (powerboards etc) & the carpet around the tank soaked. :) The trouble is you don't know if your gang valve is defective until you have to clean up the mess. You could go to the effort of dumping the gang valve into a bucket of water while it's all hooked up & with the air pump running to see if it leaks, but why bother when check valves are only like $3 each.

12. Cichlidude

One thing you can do is put down a water alarm around the area. Home Depot or Lowe's has them for about $10. My canister sits in a 1/2" top with the alarm in it. It it leaks I'll know it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice