Using Fruit Mesh?

R3dArrow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone! Just had a quick thought and wanted some opinions. I was looking at some kind of mesh to put Java moss on to create a "mat" sort of for the back wall of my aquarium.

Does anyone know if plastic produce mesh bags are toxic? I wouldn't think they would be considering they hold food, but I know things change when placed in water over some time.

Thanks and have a great day!

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd be afraid that the plastic would leech into the water over time, because of the pesticides used on fruit.

Most arts and craft supply stores sell mesh that works perfect for java moss mats.

OP
R3dArrow

R3dArrow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lorekeeper said:
I'd be afraid that the plastic would leech into the water over time, because of the pesticides used on fruit.

Most arts and craft supply stores sell mesh that works perfect for java moss mats.
Wow, I wouldn't think pesticides would be in the plastic. Glad I asked first. Thanks so much!

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, it's not that they're in the plastic. But the fruits had some pesticides on them, and then they get put into the mesh. There's a chance that the mesh is fine to use, I'm just saying that there's also a chance that there's some pesticide left on the mesh.

OP
R3dArrow

R3dArrow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lorekeeper said:
Well, it's not that they're in the plastic. But the fruits had some pesticides on them, and then they get put into the mesh. There's a chance that the mesh is fine to use, I'm just saying that there's also a chance that there's some pesticide left on the mesh.
Oh ok I see now. You just don't want to chance it.

Another question if you don't mind, when going to said craft/hobby store, is the mesh there a specific material I should shoot for?

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is what I've seen people use:

Darice® #7 Stiff Canvas Mesh, Clear

OP
R3dArrow

R3dArrow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lorekeeper said:
This is what I've seen people use:

Darice #7 Stiff Canvas Mesh, Clear
Looks like a trip to Michaels is in order lol. Thanks again Lorekeeper

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For something more flexible (covering rocks, etc) I use a shower scrubbie poof thing unravel, cut, twist closed and usually zip tie

OP
R3dArrow

R3dArrow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jocelyn Adelman said:
For something more flexible (covering rocks, etc) I use a shower scrubbie poof thing unravel, cut, twist closed and usually zip tie
Huh, that's sounds like a good idea! What I wanted to do requires some flexibility so that might be a better option. Thanks a bunch.

New Threads