Using Fruit Mesh?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by R3dArrow, Apr 9, 2017.

1. R3dArrow

R3dArrow New Member Member

Hi everyone! Just had a quick thought and wanted some opinions. I was looking at some kind of mesh to put Java moss on to create a "mat" sort of for the back wall of my aquarium.

Does anyone know if plastic produce mesh bags are toxic? I wouldn't think they would be considering they hold food, but I know things change when placed in water over some time.

Thanks and have a great day!

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'd be afraid that the plastic would leech into the water over time, because of the pesticides used on fruit.

Most arts and craft supply stores sell mesh that works perfect for java moss mats.

3. OP
    OP
    R3dArrow

Wow, I wouldn't think pesticides would be in the plastic. Glad I asked first. Thanks so much!

4. Lorekeeper

Well, it's not that they're in the plastic. But the fruits had some pesticides on them, and then they get put into the mesh. There's a chance that the mesh is fine to use, I'm just saying that there's also a chance that there's some pesticide left on the mesh.

5. OP
    OP
    R3dArrow

Oh ok I see now. You just don't want to chance it.

Another question if you don't mind, when going to said craft/hobby store, is the mesh there a specific material I should shoot for?

6. Lorekeeper

This is what I've seen people use:

7. OP
    OP
    R3dArrow

Looks like a trip to Michaels is in order lol. Thanks again Lorekeeper

8. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

For something more flexible (covering rocks, etc) I use a shower scrubbie poof thing :) unravel, cut, twist closed and usually zip tie

9. OP
    OP
    R3dArrow

Huh, that's sounds like a good idea! What I wanted to do requires some flexibility so that might be a better option. Thanks a bunch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice