Using Fluval Fx Filter Pads In Eheim 2217

Breezeman23

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post here. First of many I'm sure. I have been reading these forums for a long time, but this is my first post.

Introductions aside i have a question for all of you.

I just bought a Eheim classic 600 (2217) second hand and its in fantastic shape. I just cleaned everything and sterilized as much as i could. Now i am ready to fill the can and get it setup.

My question is this: had anyone tried or have used Fluval FX5 filters in place of Eheim's own brand name filter pads? They are very near the same size as the FX5 filter pads.

I bought the white FX5 fine pads and the coarse FX5 bio-foam pads. I also purchased the Eheim media but that is besides the point.

Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I've attached pics of the pads i purchased and plan on using in my Eheim Classic 600 (2217) for reference.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore, hope our members who are familiar with that make can help answer your question today

Breezeman23

Reaction score
Coradee said:
Welcome to Fishlore, hope our members who are familiar with that make can help answer your question today
Fingers crossed! Thanks for the warm welcome.

There is a member that has had experience with these filter pads. That's how I learned that these pads are interchangeable.

The problem is I am a new member and cant reply to that post, nor can I PM him until I have been a member long enough( or somthing like that)

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, if you know their name you can tag them by putting @ in front of their name, they’ll then see this thread.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tyler Scheuch said:
Hello all,

This is my first post here. First of many I'm sure. I have been reading these forums for a long time, but this is my first post.

Introductions aside i have a question for all of you.

I just bought a Eheim classic 600 (2217) second hand and its in fantastic shape. I just cleaned everything and sterilized as much as i could. Now i am ready to fill the can and get it setup.

My question is this: had anyone tried or have used Fluval FX5 filters in place of Eheim's own brand name filter pads? They are very near the same size as the FX5 filter pads.

I bought the white FX5 fine pads and the coarse FX5 bio-foam pads. I also purchased the Eheim media but that is besides the point.

Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I've attached pics of the pads i purchased and plan on using in my Eheim Classic 600 (2217) for reference.

Thanks everyone!
Watch pondguru's vids on YouTube, he has pimped up the Eheim Classic series of filters and used, if im not mistaken, Fluvals mechanical media.

So long as they fit snuggly inside, they should be just as good, or probably even better than Eheims sponges.

The beauty of canisters is that yoy can pretty much use any media you want. Pre-fabricated or cut up to size, it doesnt matter as long as you put them in the right order.

From bottom to top:
1. Mechanical
- Coarse sponge at the bottom
- Medium sponge on top of that
- Fine sponge/floss after

2. Bio media (Eheim Substrat Pro, Sechem Matrix, etc. Choose your own)

3. Finish off with a coarse sponge or chemical filtration if needed such as activated charcoal, carbon pads, etc.

Hope this helps!

Breezeman23

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

@HaileStorm the fluval fx filter pads are just a little too small for the eheim 2217. I bought them, put them in and didnt think it would do the trick, abouy 1/4" on all sides too small .

I'm wondering if I would be cost effective to get bulk filter pad material and cut me own filter pads. I have yet to run my 2217 and really want to soon.

Thanks again.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tyler Scheuch said:
Thanks for the replies!

@HaileStorm the fluval fx filter pads are just a little too small for the eheim 2217. I bought them, put them in and didnt think it would do the trick, abouy 1/4" on all sides too small .

I'm wondering if I would be cost effective to get bulk filter pad material and cut me own filter pads. I have yet to run my 2217 and really want to soon.

Thanks again.
I see, no those wont do the trick as you'll get a hige amount of bypass.

Just buy bulk and cut it to size. That's what I'd do as soon as the pads in my Classic 250 need replacing. I already have the filter floss which I buy in bulk, I use it to replace the floss in my Tidal 55 HOB and now, my Eheim 250 1360]

Breezeman23

Reaction score
So I bought the marineland bond filter pad and then a huge bag of polyester filter fiber. I figure I can use the filter pillow for alot of stuff in all 6 of my tanks, and I plan on buying another can filter as soon as I can.

Right now, I have an eheim classic 2217. And i have a friend who has 3 fluval 406's that all need to be fixed in one way shape or form. So I'll use all 3 to make one working one lol.

Thanks for the help, I'll post when I have successfully (or not lol) setup up my 2217, and will let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom