Using Flourish Excel To Deal With Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ssarahh, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ssarahhNew MemberMember

Hi all,

I'm having issues with thread algae in my 10 gallon tank and I was told Flourish Excel would help but I'm not entirely sure how to dose it properly. In the tank I have 1 betta fish, anubias nana, java fern, amazon sword and some marino moss balls. I have been dosing my tank according to the bottle (5ml upon initial dose and 1ml per day after for a 10 gallon) but have also been reading about over dosing to deal with the algae, although I know this can have negative effects. Can anyone give me a little more advice?

Thank you in advance!

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

The only plant in your aquarium that really requires fertilizer is the amazon sword plant. Sounds to me that your overdosing the aquarium for fertilizer. Flourish excel will not help with your algae problem because it sounds like to me you have an imbalance in nutrients.

3. OP
    OP
    s

ssarahhNew MemberMember

Forgot to mention I also have some pogostemen helferi so in the past I've used a couple of root tabs but haven't in a while and I've only started using the Excel in an attempt to get rid of the algae, but I'll stop using it if it's not helping anything. My Nitrates are around 40ppm right now so that's probably what's causing the algae bloom but even with water changes I'm having trouble bringing the levels down. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the algae or bring down the nitrates?

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Best way to get rid of algae is through a 3 day blackout. Also the reason that many people say co2 helps reduce algae is because lighting, co2, and nutrients form a triangle. If you have a missing piece you will have problems. However the flourish excel isn't a alternative

5. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Isn’t excel been widely reported as an algaecide when used in higher then normal doses?

6. alexandramewNew MemberMember

Would highly recommend not trying to find a "quick fix" and purchasing chemicals like API Algaefix to treat the issue.
    Despite the product saying it will not harm fish, a lot of people including myself will tell you otherwise. Almost wiped out my cory population with just a small dose.
    Chemicals are a tricky matter, good luck with the algae situation!

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Indeed, I agree and concur. Always use any "counter-chemicals" for diseases, water quality, ammonia, water quality testing etc. (other than the supreme Prime of course, which is confounded and regarded very highly by most everyone, even from salt water fishkeepers as well eh!?) (counter-action) as a very last resort, if at all, which can sometimes be a bit disconcerning, and can be a bit contradictive, however the ends will justify the means. Usually consider any applicable fundamental variences first, before dismissing those, and exploring the many other options. Yes, with a 10 gal. 5 ml is what the bottle "says" to dose, but the fact and reality is...all tanks WILL vary. Period. The only problem with Seachems excellent line of ferts IMO is: They are VERY ambiguous and vague when it comes to their fert. products instructions, as well as any disclaimers per the instructions. See, the thing we ALL need to realize is: They are almost obligated to fashion together live plant dosing instructions on a "universal" scale: Like a one-size-fits-all mentality. Therefore, the bottle may state, "5 ml's dose per day", although that can imply a 10 gal tank...or a 30...or a 100, or more--hence the vague and vivid instructional mandate. "5 ml's per day, and add as needed." Basically, in essence is what they're instructing is: Add this amount and then if your plants look like they require more, then add more." lol And also, with new planted aquarium fishkeepers, most will not know just how much one SHOULD add, as they have no starting point of reference...at all. The best way is to start SLOWLY, and sparingly. For nature cannot be rushed. Start a DAILY regimen of dosing, and take a lot of notes, which is very important and consistent to actually enable a method of reference, as well as a catalyst for future scheduling. And as for Excel, I DO use it as well, but only once per week with injected CO2 on all of my tanks. Yes, it IS an algaecide, and does help plants some. Although I'd advise against using it every day, because you do need some algae, to verify your tank is "alive" and is capable of processing nitrogen. So the point is, do be wary when it comes to starting out your fert doising, as because different plants will inevitably have different reactions. As I've said before in several posts, start of SLOW and sparingly. Allow time for your plants to adjust, espeically if they're new and possibly in shock emmersed, or not. Buy local plants from your lfs if you can. Because chances are, they already have been living underwater for some time, so they'll much likely be able to adjust more appropriately and hastily. Any other questions sir?

And also keep in mind, that A. Swords such as mine, are HUGE root tab pigs lol I have to dose all of mine TWICE per month now! Yikes. And your other plants are low-to mid. light level plants anyway, so they shouldn't ever be any hassle really. And perhaps try to differentiate your lighting schedule as well as the "triangle" as Dutch suggested. Over excessive/over abundance of algae is typically an indication of only one thing: imbalance. Too heavy of ferts, can equal algae. Too scarce of ferts, can equal algae. Furthermore, the key is...patience. And practice. Even with easier plants, it's better to be safe, than sorry. And also, if your nitrates are in the 40's, (ehh which isn't all that bad really) is to do WC's. About twice per week, then perform the appropriate water testing. The if there's any indication of nitrogen rescinding or balancing, (perhaps 10-20) then do weekly WC's. Listen to Dutch. : ) And me if you wish to lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
  8. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Well TBT I think I got the hair algae when I stopped dosing Excel for a week and half. But I have found a few other contributing factors as well. Blue light on 24x7, Finnex light on too long, also too close to the water, also it’s a new tank.
    The long and short is i made a lot of mistakes in the interest of getting my planted tank off and running. I fully agree on slow and steady. I preach this to a lot of people on here maybe I should listen to myself.
    That all said thanks for the help and comments. I have done a lot of reading and opinions on Excel and CO2 are all over the place in regards to benefits compared to hassles involved with each.
    I have only had problems with Excel once and it was with shrimp.

Anyway thanks all. Back to plucking algae off my plants

9. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

@dutch what do you mean Excel is not an alternative? Alternative to what? CO2?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice