Using Fishing Line To Tie Down Plants - Getting Creative

1. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

Hey there i have a question
    So is it possible that when adding plants you can (if you want to)possibly get some fishing line or some sort of string and tie the plants onto stuff such as driftwood or mabey the middle of the filter intake so it would be a nice sort of little hanging spot for shrimp relax on. IMG_20180530_202649.jpg
    Here is a picture of the intake but its much longer i just got thw bottom end and its nowhere near the middle

Oh and also sorry for to mention this when you get some live plants do you bury the roots in the sand

2. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

Yeah, many people use fishing line or thread to hold plants down while they get their roots attached. As for an intake tube it's possible but I don't see how theyll attach to it. What I did was got a filter sponge and cut it to fit over the bottom of the intake tube so now it catches the food that would get sucked up and my cories and shrimp love to clean up the stuck food.

Some plants need their bottoms buried and some need to be left uncovered like anubis. I would read up on your plants to see their requirements. When getting plants it's just like getting new fish for the tank.

3. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Tying them on and super glueing them are common practice, depending on the plant. Some plants HAVE to be on the surface or theyll die. Amazon frogtbit, dwarf water lettuce, etc., MUST be floating. Submerging them will kill them. Plants that have a rhizome MUST NOT have their roots buried. Anubias, java fern, etc., all have to have their rhizome above the substrate. The Rhizome does resemble roots, so some people will bury them not know and they will eventually die. Its common to jam them between rocks or tie/glue them to rocks or wood.

Other plants have to be planted. Amazon swords for example must have their roots planted.

Then there are other plants yet that can be planted or allowed to float around. Pondweed, foxtail and lots of moss species are plants that can be planted, glued or left floating around.

It all depends on the plants and what youre going for look-wise.

4. GreekGills

GreekGills Valued Member Member

Some plants get their nutrients through gravel or sand and some get them through the water column. I don't know tons about plants, but anubias can be tied onto driftwood, decor,etc. I just Google the type plant and it usually specifies if it does better with roots buried or exposed. Some types if the rootsare buried, they can rot and the plant will die off.

5. OP
    OP
    fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

Wow thanks lots of good answers im looking for floating plants and some small easy plants and also
    What are some of thoughs plants in the pots at the petstores they are ushaully very small and are typically 3 dollars

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Easy floating plants that wont take over your tank: Amazon Frogbit and Dwarf Water Lettuce. Stay away from Duckweek, it will TAKE OVER your tank.

Easy plants include Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Java Moss, Foxtail/Coontail, Pondweed, Banana Plants, Dwarf Aquarium Lily, some Crypts, some Hygrophila, some Ludwigias, etc., etc., etc., but those are the easiest.

I buy the majority of my plants from Petco. They have a great selection and theyre super cheap. As long as you know what youre buying, no reason to not buy from them. My local Petco has two big tanks of plants: Loose ones for $3 per clump and potted ones for $5 per pot. Then they have the tissue cultured plants in the plastic tubes that range depending on size and type. I go in every Thursday (as thats when theyre putting new stuff out) to see what theyve got. Last Thursday I picked up a 12" Amazon Sword with a runner on it that had 5, 3" babies for $3. You cant come CLOSE to that price anywhere else for what equals 6 plants, one being a LARGE mature plant.

7. GreekGills

GreekGills Valued Member Member

Anacharis and hornwort are great floating plants, as well, and they grow super fast!

Aquariumco-op is a great site for plants. Lots of selection and they come in the mail in great condition.