Using Established Media In New Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
So pretty soon i may be getting a fluval fx6 (really excited). I don't really want to run 2 filters side by side for a month so i had an idea and was wondering if ya'll could answer if it will work. So i plan on cutting a square out of the circular black foam media that comes with the fx6 and inserting my current black foam medias in the space. Moving my current ceramic media into the new filter as well. Would this work?

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
You don't have to move any old media to fx6 filter just use the one that comes with fx6.. what size tank do you have

OP
Spencer318

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon. So by not taking my media sponge and putting it into the new filter, won't i deal with a new cycle? (amonia, nitra, nitri spikes?)

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 60 gallon. So by not taking my media sponge and putting it into the new filter, won't i deal with a new cycle? (amonia, nitra, nitri spikes?)
No you won't i deal with a new cycle, also fx6 is design up to 400.gal tank you really could use only fx4 and that still be more than enough..

OP
Spencer318

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
No you won't i deal with a new cycle, also fx6 is design up to 400.gal tank you really could use only fx4 and that still be more than enough..
Well i have a 60 now, but the "dream" is to within the next few years to get a 125 tall, which is why I'm shooting for the fx6 instead of the fx4.

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How would he not deal with a crashed cycle? Move all your media into the new filter when you set it up, simple as that.
I could ask same think why my tanks haven't crashed over 25 years with 28 planted tanks where i replace my media and filters every 6 months. I do understand if you swap out filters you will get rid of a good bacteria however bacteria also live on glass,gravel, decorations. I have never ever loss any stock when swapping filters or media either when replacing filters and rinse the media in my tanks.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could ask same think why my tanks haven't crashed over 25 years with 28 planted tanks where i replace my media and filters every 6 months. I do understand if you swap out filters you will get rid of a good bacteria however bacteria also live on glass,gravel, decorations. I have never ever loss any stock when swapping filters or media either when replacing filters and rinse the media in my tanks.
You mention plants... they nature's nitrogen cycle for you.

While you certainly can grt rid of established media, its not good practise to reccomend due to the off chance things dont turn out smoothly - you have a toxic soup at your hands, stressed (prone to disease) fish - that can all be avoided by using a small part of established media.

While bacteria does grow throughout the tank, the bulk of the bacteria resides in the filter. It has a large surface area - due to media -; constantly has a fresh supply of nutrients - promoting high levels of bacteria-; and is often highly oxygenated. So getting rid of the bulk of the bacteria does not sound smart IMO, especially dealing with living animals that can simply be avoided by placing some established media in the new setup.

Bacteria in our tanks tend to doubles in size after 24 hours, so just a handful of media can really make a difference. For me, i personally wouldn't cut the sponge, but rather transfer any biomedia to the new FX6, and seed the sponges with the mulm from your current filter - which tends to be loaded with bacteria, and will lodge itself where-ever leading to a somewhat even spread of bacteria throughout.

You could certainly start seeding your current FX6 media - if you have it - but placing a few peices in the tank, even in a spare pantyhose stocking in an area that receives a high flow rate to help establish it further if you want.

If not, the tank may experience a small mini cycle until the bacteria establishes itself, but as mentioned, starting out with as much media as possible leads to a decrease in a mini cycle from occuring.

OP
Spencer318

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
You mention plants... they nature's nitrogen cycle for you.

While you certainly can grt rid of established media, its not good practise to reccomend due to the off chance things dont turn out smoothly - you have a toxic soup at your hands, stressed (prone to disease) fish - that can all be avoided by using a small part of established media.

While bacteria does grow throughout the tank, the bulk of the bacteria resides in the filter. It has a large surface area - due to media -; constantly has a fresh supply of nutrients - promoting high levels of bacteria-; and is often highly oxygenated. So getting rid of the bulk of the bacteria does not sound smart IMO, especially dealing with living animals that can simply be avoided by placing some established media in the new setup.

Bacteria in our tanks tend to doubles in size after 24 hours, so just a handful of media can really make a difference. For me, i personally wouldn't cut the sponge, but rather transfer any biomedia to the new FX6, and seed the sponges with the mulm from your current filter - which tends to be loaded with bacteria, and will lodge itself where-ever leading to a somewhat even spread of bacteria throughout.

You could certainly start seeding your current FX6 media - if you have it - but placing a few peices in the tank, even in a spare pantyhose stocking in an area that receives a high flow rate to help establish it further if you want.

If not, the tank may experience a small mini cycle until the bacteria establishes itself, but as mentioned, starting out with as much media as possible leads to a decrease in a mini cycle from occuring.
How would he not deal with a crashed cycle? Move all your media into the new filter when you set it up, simple as that.
Awesome, thanks so much!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
spencer318, what type of filter is on the 60 gallon now? what type of media does the current one use? Is it cartridge based, bags of bio-rings, foam etc?

If possible, like others advised, my thought would be to transfer as much "old" media material to the new FX6 and just run that.

OP
Spencer318

Spencer318

Valued Member
Reaction score
spencer318, what type of filter is on the 60 gallon now? what type of media does the current one use? Is it cartridge based, bags of bio-rings, foam etc?

If possible, like others advised, my thought would be to transfer as much "old" media material to the new FX6 and just run that.
Pennplax Cascade 1000, canister filter, I have foam and bio rings in there.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In the FX4 and FX6, the trays below the top tray loaded with the black bio-foam are filled around halfway with their bio-max and carbon bags. fill the remaining space in the trays with as much bio-rings as you can from the Cascade 1000.

Your tank should continue to be cycled that way.

Monitor you water parameters and perform extra PWC's while the FX6's media starts to colonize the beneficial bacteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

• Monthly

• As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Top Bottom