Using cuttlebone for the first time?

Anixandria

Hi! I have a Mystery Snail in a 5g with my betta fish. The snail has been looking a little less than his best the past week or so and I read that cuttlebone can help. I got some just a few hours ago but I still have questions. How much should I put in a 5g tank? Will it dissolve or should I take it out eventually? Does the snail eat it?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
What I did when I put cuttlebone in is break off a chunk. (Make sure you take the metal piece off. ;)) You may have to wedge it under a rock or put it in your filter because they are super light and float. The snail may eat some but mine never did that I saw. There are a bunch of foods that you can feed them too that have calcium in them. Blanched spinach leaves, zucchini, broccoli etc. There may be some recipes around here for "snello" Mysteries love that and you can add calcium to it.

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
I agree with StarGirl. But a while ago I stopped using cuttlebone one my tank because after a couple months it started to turn grey/black and smell horrid! I have found that weco wonder shells work too! And they don’t get nasty. I put a giant pond size one in my 55g and over time it dissolves and I add another one. The giant pond ones usually last a month or so

OP
Anixandria

Anixandria

Hi again! So I put a bit of cuttlebone in my tank a few weeks ago and my snails looking good! The only problem is that the water is now a bit cloudy? Nothing else in the tank has changed at all, could it be the cuttlebone? Did I put too much?

New Threads