Using Crushed Coral?

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning all, I want some of your expert knowledge this day. I got a bag of pure crushed coral for my tanks to slightly raise my pH. I'm going to do a test tank 10gal, freshwater all. Would a 1/2cup be adequate in filter to start with? I'm only aiming for 7.0 or so. Nothing drastic. Because my water runs a steady 6.4-6.6. Anyway ty for any input. I heard just putting some in substrate won't really help??? Not sure if that's true or not? Ty again. Rhonda

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So long as the crushed coral comes in contact with the water, it will help, so you could just put it in the substrate. For a 10 gallon tank, I would maybe start with 1/4 cup, wait a few days and test. Then add more if needed. But if you don't mind your pH getting above 7, you could just start with 1/2 cup.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My tap is 6.8, 1 pound per 10 gallons is usually enough to raise that to 7.8. So assuming this is perfect math, a pound should raise yours to about 7.6, and half a pound should be 6.9-7.1. So I'd start with half a pound. just remember it raises GH and KH too

OP
RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
My tap is 6.8, 1 pound per 10 gallons is usually enough to raise that to 7.8. So assuming this is perfect math, a pound should raise yours to about 7.6, and half a pound should be 6.9-7.1. So I'd start with half a pound. just remember it raises GH and KH too
Yes. And ty so much!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
RHONDA PIMENTEL said:
Yes. And ty so much!
Did you get the chunks of coral or the type that is ground up kinda like sand? If chunks just put a handful in a media bag. If sand start with a couple of tablespoons. By experimenting in the smaller tank you can fine tune close to what is needed in your bigger tank.

Either of them will work by putting it in the tank or filter. As long as the media bag is situated in a flowing stream of water it will work just fine. I have some in my HOB filters and also some directly below the output of my filters.

Keep in mind. The PH isn't going to go up instantly. It will happen quicker with the one crushed into sand though. Give it time to work before adding more if necessary.

OP
RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
Did you get the chunks of coral or the type that is ground up kinda like sand? If chunks just put a handful in a media bag. If sand start with a couple of tablespoons. By experimenting in the smaller tank you can fine tune close to what is needed in your bigger tank.yes ty. I just rinsed and added a 1/2 cup in media bag to filter in one of the tens. Taking the pH prior was so low it was below 6 almost unreadable. So I'll take it again at 24hr intervals. And it is larger grain pure crushed coral. Ty again.

Either of them will work by putting it in the tank or filter. As long as the media bag is situated in a flowing stream of water it will work just fine. I have some in my HOB filters and also some directly below the output of my filters.

Keep in mind. The PH isn't going to go up instantly. It will happen quicker with the one crushed into sand though. Give it time to work before adding more if necessary.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
RHONDA PIMENTEL said:
ty. I just rinsed and added a 1/2 cup in media bag to filter in one of the tens. Taking the pH prior was so low it was below 6 almost unreadable. So I'll take it again at 24hr intervals. And it is larger grain pure crushed coral. Ty again.
What is the PH of your source water? I am trying to figure out why the PH is dropping so low in this tank. Is this tank cycled or are you mid cycle? Have you done any water changes lately?

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Test your kh. I am assuming your kh is low. When your ph gets to where you want it use kh booster so it won't change anymore.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good info on pH and hardness, and how it all related to our hobby. Jason from Prime Time Aquatics knows his stuff...

OP
RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
abarb said:
Test your kh. I am assuming your kh is low. When your ph gets to where you want it use kh booster so it won't change anymore.
HI again, sorry for my late reply. I did order a kh&GH test kit this week, hopefully it will be here by Monday. And as for the cause of the low pH..? I'm stumped. I do have spider and cholla wood in all aquariums so, I'm not sure if that's a contributing factor?my pH is usually a steady 6.5-6.6 but I just want it at a neutral level. I suspect I have low kh and GH?we will see after tests. Ty for your help. Rhonda

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, it could be changing if your kh is super low. Let us know those readings when you get the kit

OP
RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
Well, it could be changing if your kh is super low. Let us know those readings when you get the kit
Will do. Ty.

OP
RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good am all, I'm super happy to report that using the crushed coral in filter 1/2 cup in ten gal freshwater. Works like a charm! Went from under a 6.0 reading to 7.8 but I cut in half to 1/4 cup because I wanted it lower. My gh&kh test kit says it will be delivered today. So once I find those readings will post. Th so much for all your input everyone, you're awesome!

New Threads