Using Crushed Coral In Freshwater Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by U2_, Jul 6, 2019.

1. U2_

U2_New MemberMember

Hi, so I have a 36 gallon tank and currently my pH is at 6.0 and I need to raise it to between 7.0 and 7.6. I just bought a 15 pound bag of crushed coral. I've seen you can add it to your substrate or put it in a mesh bag and add it to your filter. I was wondering which way would be the best for my fish and which method would be faster if any.

2. MelloKitty711

MelloKitty711New MemberMember

I'm wondering the same thing so I'm following this. Sorry I dont have any answers. I just have it in my filter but wondering if putting it in substrate too might be better since my filter doesnt hold much

3. OP
    OP
    U2_

U2_New MemberMember

No problem, I just tried putting it in my filter and it won't hold much at all.

4. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

It depends how much you want to increase your buffering capacity by. For a slight increase of pH you should try to add a bit at. A time into the filter. If you want to increase your KH more ( which will give a higher and more stable pH ) add more. You need to keep adding more, give it a few days then re test. If you run out of filter space add it in bags to your tank, this way if it gets too high it can easily be removed. Increasing kH should be done gradually ( no more than 1 unit per day).
    Once you have settled on the right amount and your tests are stable you can empty the bags onto the tank substrate.

5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Both methods will work, but I prefer the mesh bag. Keep in mind that you may only need a cup or so of crushed coral (maybe even less).

Like you I bought a 15 pound bag and I think I still have 14.95 pounds left over. But I did not have to raise my pH as much as you do

6. OP
    OP
    U2_

U2_New MemberMember

This is a reply I've gotten from commenting on someone's page
    1. mattgirlAdding crushed coral will both help raise and stabilize your PH. I put mine in a media bag in my filter. If there isn't room in the filter try to hang the bag under the output of your filter. You want the water moving over/through it. If at possible try to get the coral chunks. I would add a fairly big handful of it to the media bag.

2. [​IMG]
      mattgirl
      If all you can get is the type that is ground up start with just 1/4 cup of it. Add more if necessary or remove some it you find your PH going higher than you want it to.It is a balancing act as to exactly how much you will need to hold your PH where it needs to be.

3. [​IMG]
      mattgirl
      The CC won't instantly raise it so give it a few days before adding more or removing some if needed.

Have to keep the message less than 420 :(

So for my 36-gallon tank I would only need about 1/2 or 1 cup?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
  7. jdhef

I would start with maybe a half cup and see how much your pH increases. The softer the water (i.e. the lower the pH) the water is less resistant to pH change. But as you add the crushed coral and the water starts to become harder (i.e. a higher pH) it becomes more difficult for the pH to change. So it is a trial and error process until you get it where you want it.

If you have fish in the tank, you'll want to raise that pH slowly so as not to shock the fish. Rapid changes in pH can kill fish.

So if you have fish in the tank, I would start with 1/2 cup, wait a few days, test add more if required, wait a few day test etc until you have it where you want it.

8. OP
    OP
    U2_

U2_New MemberMember

UPDATE: It has been about 6-7 days since I put in the crushed coral and my pH is at 7.6, it worked great, but day 5 or 6 the pH was between 7.0 and 7.2, I added about 2 cups to a mesh bag and placed it into my filter.
    It's been about a week and my pH has come to 7.6 and all I did was add about 2 cups to a mesh bag and put it in my filter, so it works fine in the filter, I think it would be faster putting it in the substrate because I would have been able to put more into it. But talking to some experts at my local pet store, they say change the coral out of that bag in the filter every 3 months or so.

9. jdhef

There should be no reason to change the crushed coral. But over time as it desolves, you will need to add more.

10. OP
    OP
    U2_

U2_New MemberMember

Ok thanks