Using credit card to remove algae?

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@StarGirl , I remember you saying something about using a credit card to remove algae from the tank, is that on a glass tank or acrylic?, the algae is getting more stubborn on the acrylic tank to were the plecos and snails arent getting the thick stuff and I tried wiping it with a rag but it isnt budging....will the credit card trick.....do the trick?

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes I would advise against using an active credit card though . Just be careful if you have sand substrate and avoid hitting the substrate for all else. The card itself unless it has debris on it will not scratch acrylic

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SaltyPhone said:
Yes I would advise against using an active credit card though . Just be careful if you have sand substrate and avoid hitting the substrate for all else. The card itself unless it has debris on it will not scratch acrylic
I used my old Costco card! It worked hahaha,far from done it will probably take me another full day of scraping haha, its 135 gallons.....and outside so the algae it abundant hahah, o did touch the sand and went uh .....wait and wipe the card off hahaha.
Thanks.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ouch, that's a lot of wall to scrape on a 135, but any stiff edged scraper will work well, but you might try a scrub brush or even a magic clean eraser, just make sure there is no chemicals, you can scrub a little harder without worrying about scratching the surface.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petsmart sells long handled wire, aquarium maitenence, brushes. They come in a three pack & cost under ten bucks. The soft plastic bristles do a pretty good job of removing algae from glass & decor. I doubt the brushes would scratch acrylic. I use the brushes a lot more often than my Magna Float algae scrapers.

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SilverLake said:
Ouch, that's a lot of wall to scrape on a 135, but any stiff edged scraper will work well, but you might try a scrub brush or even a magic clean eraser, just make sure there is no chemicals, you can scrub a little harder without worrying about scratching the surface.
I know I have magic erasers here and thought of it earlier...couldnt find them lol, went to the store,sold out hahaha, so credit card it was.

A201 said:
Petsmart sells long handled wire, aquarium maitenence, brushes. They come in a three pack & cost under ten bucks. The soft plastic bristles do a pretty good job of removing algae from glass & decor. I doubt the brushes would scratch acrylic. I use the brushes a lot more often than my Magna Float algae scrapers.
Ooooooooh....I will look in to those.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use an old bank card on my tank. It works much better then anything else ive tried

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
smee82 said:
I use an old bank card on my tank. It works much better then anything else ive tried
I had to use some elbow grease on it but it worked well, I let it ride too long so it's pretty hardened, valuable lesson learned to keep it under control while its soft.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I think people use a lot of old gift cards too.

jaysurf7

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been using a old card on my tank for years works great, and wont scratch the glass at all,and you don't have to worry about it messing with the sicilcone.im trying to find a way to attach it to some kind of stick so I don't have to go into the tank still working on it though heh.

New Threads