Using Craft Store Plastic As A Lid?

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been exploring cheap diy aquarium lids and I was curious about this plastic hobby lobby sells. Its clear, fairly thin, comes in decent sized sheets, and cuts real easy. I don't believe theres any specific labeling for it besides "plastic sheet", would it be safe to use or am I better off looking elsewhere? Originally got some glass aqueon lids but unfortunately they don't fit just right :/

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can’t imagine it would be unsafe for your fish. However if doing live plants may be a different story due to not knowing how much light it may or may not diffuse.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have a link to the lids your looking at? I had lids on all my tanks at one time then one day i got sick of cleaning them and removed them all and have never had a jumper. Everyone has a different experience i know but if your water parameters are all good 99% of the time inhabitants will stay in your tank aside from an occasional snail escapee....

OP
Chenpoes

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have a link to the lids your looking at? I had lids on all my tanks at one time then one day i got sick of cleaning them and removed them all and have never had a jumper. Everyone has a different experience i know but if your water parameters are all good 99% of the time inhabitants will stay in your tank aside from an occasional snail escapee....
This isn't the exact same as what ive seen in stores but I believe its the same material. And while I'm mildly worried about jumpers, I'm more concerned about the light I have for the tank since it isn't waterproof and my lizards. They're in the same room and they need low humidity, so I want to minimize as much evaporation as possible

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This isn't the exact same as what ive seen in stores but I believe its the same material. And while I'm mildly worried about jumpers, I'm more concerned about the light I have for the tank since it isn't waterproof and my lizards. They're in the same room and they need low humidity, so I want to minimize as much evaporation as possible
none are really 100% waterproof but if you have minimal surface agitation from a canister, hob, or sponge it usually isn't an issue. I don't have reptiles so i can't comment on that part of your concern sorry. Best case would be to find the product you wanna use as a lid and contact the company direct to see if its food safe. That way if its food safe its fish safe.

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Just a thought but a friend got some fluoro plastic from a lighting store. The type that is smooth on one side and has the tiny pyramids on the other side in a clear plastic. Gives really good light diffusion and I think he said it was pretty cheap.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm using polycarbonate for three tanks. I got a pack of three 24x12" sheets for $25 or so on Amazon and cut to size with boxcutters and some sort of pruning shear/maybe craft shears. Lowe's and Home Depot have the brand name in single sheets of various sizes. The ones I got say something like "for robotics" but I don't think it matters much... They may be a cheaper knock-off than the brand names (LEXAN is the most known, I think), but I don't know for sure. They work, is all I know!
And polycarbonate is stronger than glass and acrylic, pretty much shatterproof. They are flexible a bit, but that's why they won't break or shatter.
Actually it contains heat and evaporation/condensation a bit too well if you cut to perfect size with little or no gaps... I lifted the lid off my divided betta tank and felt the warmth and the lid has lots of condensation on it.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh it’s totally fine.

I decorate my tanks at Halloween and Christmas with little plastic ornaments I get at Michael’s. And I’m sure the paint those use are much “less safe” than a plastic sheet. Still, they’ve never caused any issues in my tanks.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think they'd be toxic but I expect they'd warp pretty quickly because they're thin. I have very thick plastic sheet cut from a hardware store and it still bends.

Have you looked at the Marineland tops? They fit a bit differently than the Versa-Top lids, though offhand I can't remember which is bigger.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 4 25.0%

Top Bottom